new to catalinas

Previous topic - Next topic

patrickeldridge

I've read all the great things about C-34's and I'm just about sold, but being my first liveaboard vessel, I want to make sure that I don't overlook anything.  Does anyone out there live on their 34, and if so, do they have any points of interest for a prospective liveaboard in the SF bay area.  I have almost finally decided on a catalina, but wasn't too sure whether I should entertain the idea of a 38.  I am a single 24 year old, so space isn't a huge issue, but more always seems to be better, at least on the surface.  Thanks in advance for your thoughtful responses.-
Patrick

Ken Juul

I think you have made the right choice in the Catalina.  You can pay alot more for an upscale name, but not have much more boat.  I live on my 34 half the week.  Spring/summer/fall sometimes 2 weeks straight before off to the house.  I think I would find the 34 too small if I didn't have the house and garage to act as base.  I have heard of some people renting a Storage unit close to their marina to act as their base.  Dock mates have a 380.  The extra 4 feet makes a tremendous difference, the full standup aft stateroom is much larger than the 34.  I shower in the bath house, on the 380 the enclosed shower would make showering on board easier.  As a single guy, I think entertaining would be easier on the 380.  I looked at 36's, chose the 34 because I didn't feel the extra 2 feet got me much (cost/Benifet).  A 38 was out of my price range.  I am extremely happy with my 34, it meets my needs and I would buy it again without hesitation.  Personal opinion, I like the Mark I better than the Mark II, but wouldn't buy one without the walk thru transom.  Draw up an honest list of your needs/wants/likes/$ available and start comparing.  Boat shopping is almost as fun as sailing...I did say almost.  Happy hunting
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA