replacing solar vents

Previous topic - Next topic

mervdog

I have a 1986 boat and the two solar vents under the dodgier are broken. I would like to replace them but the 4 inch nicros that I bought from West Marine require a larger cut out. Does anyone know if these came with the boat or were an add on later?  I The cut out fits a Beckson inspection port perfectly including the screw holes.   Does Beckson make a vent?

Ron Hill

Merv : I believe that the solar vent in the head was added by a PO and the one in the aft cabin by the factory.  I think that Nicro are the only ones that make a 4" vent.  Get out your saber saw!! 
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Our 1986 has the two solar vents as OEM equipment: one in the head, one over the aft cabin entry.  They were there before Catalina switched to hatches.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stu Jackson

I measured the holes this afternoon. 

They are each 4 1/2 inches in diameter on our boat.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

windrunr

I just replaced the solar vent on my 1987 C34 with a new Nicro 4" 24 hour day/night solar vent. This is a 10 minute replacement.

- Pull out the old Nicro solar vent
  - Push in the new Nicro solar vent (after the battery has been installed).
  - Test to see that fan is working properly
  - You are done!

Has anyone replaced the solar vent with an opening hatch?  If so what type did you install?

Standard Rig, Standard Keel

Ken Heyman

Merv,

I just recently bought the "4 inchers" at WM (on sale) and was confronted with an existing cut out size on my 88 of 4 1/2"(4 3/4" is required). I think Ron is correct. I will have to re-cut or sand an additional 1/4 inch of diameter. As an aside, these seem to be about the best relative prices that I have ever seen at West Marine. Incidentally, our boat has one vent in the head and one in the aft cabin.

Good luck,

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Stu Jackson

Hatches in lieu of solar vents:  The newer boats (1987 +) have small hatches, at least on the head side, don't know if they're over the aft cabin, too.  Anyway, I did note that if you have a dodger, unless the wind is coming from behind you (rare at anchor) the hatches may not provide as much ventilation as anticipated due to the dodger.  They sure would provide more light!

Jim Price

For the record, 1991 has opening hatch over head and Nicro solar vent onver aft cabin.  Replacement takes stock Nicro 4"
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Ron Hill

Ken : If you want to replace those solar vents get the 4" Nicro replacements. 
If they miraculously fit you're home free, if not get out the saber saw.  Just remember to paint (seal) that new cut edge.  Good Luck!   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Heyman

Ron,

I've already purchased a  4" day - night Nicro replacement . A quick measurement as I mentioned in my above post, suggests that the existing cut out is 4 1/2" whereas 4 3/4 is required. Thanks for the advice re: the sealing. It will be heeded.

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il