wheel size and circumference for cover?

Previous topic - Next topic

kerk fisher

Anyone off hand know the wheel size (diameter) and tube circumference for our boat, 1992 walkthru transom, #1102? I guess if I put to use some of my high school math I could figure the circumference of the tube with the diameter dimension. This is for getting a wheel cover. The bare wheel is starting to hurt my wife's hands. These little questions make me want to be nearer our boat!! Thanks, Kerk
Kerk Fisher
C34, Into the Mystic II
Hull #1102, 1990
Sailing the North Channel, Lake Huron
908 Wicksbury Place, Louisville, KY 40207
Louisville, KY 40205
502-454-7759
Alternate email: kerksailmystic@gmail.com

Ron Hill

Kirk : If you'd have looked at my Mainsheet article on "Modifying Your Rudder", you would have seen the diameters of the wheels on a MKI and MKII. 
I believe that yours is a 36" wheel!   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

kerk fisher

thanks, Ron. If anyone has a diff idea........ Also, do you know the diameter or circumference of the wheel tubing? they need to know the width of the leather piece in addition to the length.  thanks, Kerk
Kerk Fisher
C34, Into the Mystic II
Hull #1102, 1990
Louisville, KY 40205
502-454-7759

Jim Price

I got my leather  WITH FOAM kit from BoatLeather couple of years ago.  Check thier site.  They have everything listed by boat type.  My leather was 40" long (for 36" wheel and you can cut to fit exactly) and 2.75 " wide.  That is with foam padding in leather so when I stitched on the leather, it is absolutely tight around the wheel.  Is still perfect today and makes tremedous difference in winter or summer.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Ron Hill

Kerk : If you contact BoatLeather like Jim suggested, they'll tell you the length that you need. 
I got the foam under the leather and it really makes the wheel nicer to hold on to.

I took my wheel home and put a broom stick inbetween 2 chairs and laced the leather w/foam on over a period of 4 or 5 days.  Found it's a project that you don't want to take on from start to finish in 1? day!!
  :!:
Ron, Apache #788

tommyt

Agree with Ron and Jim about Boatleather. Their kit fits and the materials are great. Wear sailing gloves and it really saves your hands if you are doing it yourself.
Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance

kerk fisher

Thanks, everyone. We're ordering today!! Kerk
Kerk Fisher
C34, Into the Mystic II
Hull #1102, 1990
Louisville, KY 40205
502-454-7759