Keel Bolt Socket

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen Butler

Not a new topic; rather a request.  Does anyone out there have a keel bolt tightening tool that they could mail to us and we could return....or can someone provide a source for a proper socket?    If a "loaner" is available, we would certainly cover the costs of mailiing.  We will need to have the tool sent to Dallas in mid-May, and we would mail it back in mid-June.  Many thanks.

Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Gary Ambrose

Steve:

The socket is a 1 1/8" deep socket.  You will also need a short extension for the socket, plus a rachet.  I borrowed one from my local garage as well as a torque wrench

NAPA Auto parts does sell a single socket if you already have a socket set and an extension.

Jeff Kaplan

steve, as gary said, the socket is 1 1/8" deep. if you don't have one, buy one, with the extention. get  1/2" drive. keep in your on board tool kit. once bought, you'll always have it. i have almost as many tools on board as at home. no hardware stores at sea. ..jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Stephen Butler

I am a bit confused...I thought the required socket was a 1 and 1/8 inch, with a minimum throat (depth) of 4 inches.  I have gotten it wrong?  We are 1200 miles from the boat and I was going to order it on the internet, or borrow.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Gary Ambrose

the socket size is 1 and 1/8, the depth is about 4" but it is called a deep socket as opposed to a standard socket depth of a little over an inch.

Online is good, remember the extension.

Stephen Butler

Many thanks for the information.  Could you please supply a web site address and a part number for the socket?  I have been seaching and cannot find anything as yet.  Many thanks.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Ron Hill

Steve : I've got a tool.  Look in projects as I sent Mark a copy of a picture and some word to go along with it.
The 1 1/8" socket is 4 " deep and made by Snap On Tools.  To do the job correctly you'll also need a universal (2 bolts - the one by the battery compartment and the most aft are not straight on).  I'd also recommend about a 3 ft extension along with a "T" bar handle. 
My tool is presently in Md. with a friend.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Stephen Butler

Again, thanks for the details.  I quickly found the article on the web and ordered.  Also got the extension, universal, and t-bar...paid about the same as one hour of yard time, and will have it on board.  Not bad
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

billhatter

Steve

Can you tell me where you found the socket information on the web?  I'm interested in acquiring the same set up.

Thanks
Bill Hatter
Hull #459
Bill Hatter
Proud Mary
Hull #459

Stu Jackson

Bill

I just copied "Snap On Tools" from Ron's earlier post, pasted it on to my browser's address bar, hit enter,  and the computer found their website.  With the specs on the socket and the appurtenances, it appears that this should be an easy find for you.  Type in deep socket in their search bar and go.

My understanding is that Steve and Nancy are either traveling and/or can't or don't access this site daily.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Steve Hansen

I picked up my 1 1/8 deep socket, universal, and 10 inch extension at Ace hardware in Rock Hall MD. This string of posts prompted me to purchase and tighten down keel bolts this past weekend. Borrowed a torque wrench from a friend. At least 6 of the bolts needed tightening. Thanks for the insite guys :thumb:
Steve
Steve Hansen
Georgia Peach 1987 #349
Tall Rig/ Wing Keel
Universal M25XP