bottom paint

Previous topic - Next topic

msenko

How much bottom paint is required for a single coat?

Thanks,

Mike Senko
Puffin
Everett,Wa.

Captain Bob

It really depends on the kind of paint you are using. A hard type paint usually goes on thinner and can be spread out farther.
I use an ablative pain ACP-50 or Ultima. I buy a gallon each year and find I put on almost 3/4 of it for two relatively thin coats over very little old paint. I save the rest to use for touch up under the cradle pads or as an extra margin over the leading edge of the keel or rudder. I find I can paint two years in a row then skip one year as there is still adaquate paint to provide enough coverage.

kenkillian

I agree with Bob, about 3/4 of a gallon should give you a coat.  I too, used Pettit ACP Ultima.  As we are both in Everett, email me direct as I did my whole bottom last year, blister repair, epoxy, etc and may be able to give you some direct advice.  I am not sure that I would use ACP Ultima again in our waters.

msenko

I want to thank Bob and Ken for taking the time to reply to my question. It looks like I will try the ACP-50. I have used Trinidad in the past and it seemes ok, but I wasn't thrilled with its performance, If I recall it slimed up in 6 months in Seattle, requiring constant diving to keep the bottom clean after that.

Mike Senko
S/V Puffin
Everett

Ed Shankle

Mike, another paint to consider is Micron CSC Extra, with Biolux. It's an ablative.
I've been using Micron all along; it;s great on the hard growth, but I have still been getting a fair coat of slime. This year they came out with the Biolux addition and it has made a significant difference.
Good stuff, not cheap.

Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA