Keel-steeped mast

Previous topic - Next topic

norman

I am seriously shopping for a C34 but I have a few technical issues which some of you may hbe able to help me with before I make a purchase.
1. Keel-stepped mast: I understand that the C34 mast is keel-stepped. Is this the case for all years? If so, how easy is it to step and unstep. This is a task that I may need to do several times during my sailing season du to low bridges in my area. Is it realistic to to hope to this with a C34?
2. Draft: I sail on a shallow body of water and I must limit my draft to about 5 1/2 ft. Is it realistic to look for a tall rig with a shallow draft? If I must choose a standard rig, am I seriously compromising on performance?

Thanks for your feedback

SteveLyle

Some C34's masts are keel stepped, some are deck stepped.  On new boats all are deck stepped.  It seems like the older the boat the more likely it's keel stepped, but there were deck stepped masts in year 1.

There's been extended threads/surveys on this topic (e.g., what's your hull # and how's your mast stepped?), if you care to search.

Mine is keel stepped.  The yard steps/unsteps the mast with their rigging equipment.  I would expect that there's no way that raising/lowering a keel stepped mast is a DIY type operation.  Given the size of the thing, I don't see how a deck stepped mast can be stepped/unstepped by the skipper at bridges or such without some serious engineering/modifications.  It's certainly not designed for this.

The standard rig isn't a major performance compromise, I wouldn't worry about it.  Just raise a larger headsail and keep it up longer as the wind picks up.  If the water is thin in your area, I suspect that most available C34's have the wing/shoal keel.

I think the mast stepping/unstepping thing is going to be a problem, though.

Steve

Stephen Butler

Agree with Steve that pulling the mast, whether keel or deck stepped, is not a diy job.   We have a 1990, C34, # 1023, with a keel stepped mast and it can be pulled or replaced in about 30 minutes, not counting retuning time.  It is not a big job...just a big and dangerous item to move.  Going through the bridges of southern Florida, I have wondered if a tabernacle could be fashioned for a C34 mast...have seen lots of big masts with this arrangement in Europe, but not in the U.S. 

Regarding draft, we have the standard 5'7" keel, and have to be a bit careful in Florida waters.  However, with only one exception, we manage to tuck into the places we want...just keep an eye on the sounder, go slow, study the charts, etc.  Have to admit that there are those occasions when I wish for a 4' draft, but then the wind shifts and we have to go to windward and appreciate the standard keel.   Eventually, we will be moving into deeper waters, and the draft will not be a problem, but for now, it is very manageable.

Regarding the rig, we have the standard rig and a 150 genny...no performance problems.

Based on our experience, if you find a suitable C34 with any combination of mast or keel, and do not intend to race, buy it.  The C34 really is a great sail!
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Ron Hill

Norman : Some of the 1986's had a deck stepped mast (you had to pay extra for the deck stepped).  Then the 1987 thru 1993 are all keel stepped masts.  Then the MKII in 1995 and later all have deck stepped masts.

Even the deck stepped mast on a C34 is NOT like a trailerable boat's mast, as it's a fairly major operation to drop and lift it!!  It's NOT a jinpole operation!!  I don't know the weight of the mast is, but I'd guess its closer to 600lbs than 200lbs? 

The draft of the wing keel is listed at 4'3", but realistically you should think 4 1/2'.

The tall rig is more for light winds and most have a 135% Genoa.  I have a standard rig with a 150% and can easily stay up with a tall rig. 

If you're going to have to drop the mast frequently I surely wouldn't "realistically" recommend a C34.  Sorry  :cry4`
Ron, Apache #788