Refrigeration System Maintenance for Mark I & Older Boats

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

Last weekend we were without shorepower although at a marina, which is the same as being anchored out, which we do a lot.  Our house battery bank is 315 ah with 3 year old deep cycle batteries in good shape.  As usual, we turned of the fridge when we went to sleep.  When I turned the fridge on in the morning, the ammeter popped up as it usually does before it settles in at 5 amps, but then cycled off.  I had installed a brand new fan a few months ago, and the unit had worked fine ever since.

Today, three days later, I checked the unit out and recommend the following to older boat owners who may be experiencing "problems" with the fridges (before you call the expensive repairman).

1.  Check the battery voltage - I left the boat "unplugged" since the weekend (we usually do anyway) to allow the batteries to "rest" and checked the electrolyte in each cell and the voltage at the batteries.

2.  Check the voltage at the compressor unit.

3.  Check the wire connections at the unit.  The Adler Barbour units have the positive and negative wires coming in the top of the electronic module portion of the unit, leading to two compression type wire connections.  I removed the wires, found them somewhat corroded (original OEM -- 1986 -- Catalina wiring was UNtinned), cut them shorter, re-trimmed and reinserted them with a spray of Boeshield.  One of the electronic module wires on a spade connector on the underside also appeared to need to be reseated.  There's not enough room for a ring connector there, and the spade that I put on the end of the wire is easier than trying to wind the fine wiring onto the screw.

Problem solved, system works.

When in doubt with anything electrical, CHECK THE CONNECTIONS.

BTW, I've been getting four or five years out of the fans.  Our local A/B distributor sells them for $48.  One of these days I'll take the old one into Radio Shack and see if they have a less expensive replacement.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

I've had my factory installed Cold Machine since day one!  It's been trouble free and still has the same fan! 

I have had 2 hiccups!!  One - when I inadvertently disconnected the thermostat plug while storing fenders by the steering in the aft lazerette. 
The second - when a dock line fell down on the compressor unit and blocked the flow of air.  It melted the fuse!!  After that melt down, I wrote a Mainsheet article to give owners a heads up that a 15 amp fuse was installed in a place (by the FACTORY) where a 10 amp fuse should have been.  Hence the melt down!!!!!!

Good stuff in those Mainsheet tech notes, but you've got to read them!!    :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788