Ever heard of a garbord plug?

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveLyle

Hull #75 got surveyed on Monday, nothing major (keel fairing is shot, needs GFI plugs, couple of hoses have cracks, winches need lubrication, steering's a tad loose, and hoses to seacocks need to be double clamped).  We should close in a few days, and let the work begin.

But the surveyer also recommended that I install a drain in the lowest point of the bilge.  Leave it open when hauled, with a line passing through to wick out any moisture in the bilge to keep it dry.  Also will make it easier to power wash the bottom/bilge (I'll have the sole out anyway refinishing it over the winter).  Says to install a garbord plug.  Can't find it listed at West, Defender, or Boat/US.  Anybody done this?  Opinions?  Any idea where to get one?

jrupinsk

A Garboard plug [I sell them in my store $5.99], is a flat brass flange about 2" in diameter with a 1/2" female pipe thread tapped into it into which a 1/2" male pipe thread plug fits into.  The flange has three countersunk holes drilled into it for attaching with screws.  If you can't find one I can get one to you.

Jan Rupinski

c34member

I'm not a marine surveyor or naval architect, but I'm not happy with the idea of adding a drain hole in the bilge.  You couldn't go straight down because of the keel, and to accomidate the flange you have to raise it slightly, so that it will still leave some water anyway.  Probably not much less than the existing pumps leave.  IMHO it's not worth the risk of the potential to leak into the bilge or between the hull laminates if not sealed well.  There's not so much water there that it can't be easily handled with a bucket, cup and sponge.  If you're getting water in when hauled, you have a leak in a fitting somewhere.

SteveLyle

I can find it now that I know how to spell it.

I've got the same concerns about drilling a hole in (soon to be) my boat.

Speaking of bilge pumps, this boat has 2.  The manual pump located aft of the wheel, and an electric pump in the bilge (actually, 3, it has another manual pump stored under the v-berth).  During my layman inspection before we put an offer in, I turned on the bilge pump breaker, and heard it churning away down there.  After a few minutes it's still churning away.  Eventually I get curious and lift up the sole.  There it is, churning away, with no hose attached to the exhaust.  And no hose to be attached. Just recirculating water like crazy.  The owner claims that the pump was an option on the original boat that he ordered, but that the factory never completed the installation and he didn't follow up on it.  So he's been using the manual pump for 16 years.

The surveyor recommends installing a new through-hull for that, too.  I'm leaning toward a Y-fitting at either the existing manual pump outlet, or one of the cockpit drains, looping the line up high to avoid any back-siphoning (or a check valve?).

Anyway, it's on my list.

Steve

msenko

Garboard plug- transome drain plug. Most dinghy's have them. If you have an inflatable, there is one in the transome.

IMHO, I don't think it would be a good idea to drill any more holes into the bottom of the boat than is absolutely necessary. I recall someone posting on this list that they installed a 'Y' valve in their shower sump pump. They then attached a hose to one leg of the 'Y' and used it to "vacuum" out the bilge. I would think this arrangement will work quite well and get nearly all if not all of the water out.

Another idea would be to use a Thirsty mate hand pump, pg 506 in the WMP catalog. These pumps do a good job of getting much of the water out of the bilge, leaving some behind that is easily sponged out. I just did this a couple of weeks ago.

Another problem with the garboard plug, you can't adequetly drain all of the bilge compartments. There will be some water left behind in the other compartments that will need sponging out.

Hope this helps,

Mike Senko