Anchor Windlass

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Hill

Terry : If you've done any reading at all on windlesses in a C34 you would have found that the FIRST C34 with a anchor well installed windless is a 1989!!
You don't have that or a subsequent year C34 anchorwell configuration to do that type of installation!!  It's horizontal and inside the anchor well.   :cry4`
Ron, Apache #788

Terry Forshier

What I am asking is..IS there anyone who would send me a photo of the configuration they are using? I have a windlass electrical set up on the boat and wires led to the anchor locker by PO. I also have some left over (holes from screws or bolts) where it appears a windlasss had previously been installed. However, I have seen other boats with many different configurations and wanted to explore all possibiolities before starting this project. I am under the impression that is the main reason for the forum. To share ideas.
Lastly, I am new to this boardand the association but not new to computers. I have had a difficult time finding and accessing the information in the format presented on the disc and on line. Each time I ask a direct question someone comes on and tells me to check this or read this previous post. That is all fine if you can find it.
Having been a member of the O'Day association and also the Pearson group and in comparing the three I can tell you this is not the most user friendly.
Terry   
please if you have a photo send to    Sailsman10@comcast.net

Rick Johnson

Terry, I understand and share your frustration with this board but this is truly a great source of information and there are lots of helpful people here.  Ron Hill (to name one) has been a great source for ideas and solutions to problems.

I myself just recently added a 35 lb CQR (in addition to my 10 lb Fortress FX-16), so I've now moved installing a windlass up to the top of my projects list.  I'd be interested in what you decide to do and sharing any photos.

Cheers,

Rick
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Stu Jackson

Terry, I sense a certain amount of frustration in your comments, and please believe me that I DO understand.  One of the many issues that we have faced in the past TWENTY YEARS is that there is almost TOO MUCH information available.  This is thanks to the great community of C34 owners, including you, who have contributed over the years. 

I discussed the background of the website and the different types of information in my recent post, "Guide to the C34 Website" at http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=2629.0.  A number of years ago, another new member vociferously complained about "our attitude" in responding to his and others' questions by saying "go look it up," and I was personally challenged to continually remind myself that it is important to guide fellow skippers and not to berate them.  I've continued to try to do that with including references in my posts and developing posts like the one mentioned above.  I will continue to try to help you ("I am under the impression that is the main reason for the forum. To share ideas."  "That is all fine if you can find it."). 

You're right, but sometimes folks just simply do not have the answers to your specific question, just yet.  There is also the reality that of the 1700+ C34s produced to date, a bit less than half (710) are members of the C34IA, and, of those, experience indicates that only a small percentage are active on the board based on the recurrence of the contributors.  There has been a flood a new members to this Board, and we welcome that.  I continue to be proud of those members who repeatedly donate their time, effort and contributions on a regular basis, and without whom this website would cease to be of value.  Many of them have also expanded their volunteer technical enthusiasm and become active participants in the Association, which benefits all C34 owners.

One of things you may have noticed about this 'site is that it has a minimum of pictures compared to other 'sites, although some early ones may be found at www.c34.org, in Voyages and Gallery.  I recall that we discussed this recently in your wallpaper post.  As noted in the FAQs, "Why I Bought a C34," there seem to be a lot of engineer-types who are willing to verbally discuss and describe their experiences and efforts, hence the voluminous Tech Notes, FAQs and Projects.  It's been only rather recently that photographic evidence of work has come to the fore, in both the Tech Notes and right here on the message board.  One of the reasons for the lack of a response to your questions about windlasses may simply be that no one has taken pictures of their installations other than those who have already contributed theirs to the Projects section, or the Tech Notes.  I'm sure you're aware that there are two pages of results on a search on the word "windlass" on this board, and I don't see that any have pictures.

Sometime searching IS hard.  I've found it sometimes difficult here, myself, in trying to find answers for questions instead of saying "go look it up, it's already there."  Sometimes I take the time to find what someone is looking for and give them the link, simply because I've spent so much time here, both contributing and learning, and can recall helpful search queries to find the earlier answers.  There is a LOT of reading to do, but I hope that asking questions continues, because we want, to the best of our ability, to help find the answers for you.

One of the other suggestions I have made over the years is that folks take the time to copy and paste the Tech Notes Index onto their word processors to make searching easier, because, quite frankly, the search engine on the www.c34.org portion of the website leaves a lot to be desired.  Accordingly, I will create a separate post and provide my copy of the Tech Notes Index (which I created in 1998 and which grew into the TNO) and post it on the Message Board. 

It's here: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=3096.0

It does not include the past few issues (it goes from 1987 to 2004, OK?), but you'll get the idea.  Perhaps the MB search engine will work on this new MB post better , but you can always cut & paste it to your own word processing program and use CNTL-F to find any words you want.  Also, a feature I just discovered:  If you do a search from any of the basic MB pages, you will find another "search" to the left of the words "search results" at the upper left of the first posting of your initial results.  Click on the word search to the left of search results.  This new page will allow you to refine your search.  This is another carefully hidden, but available, feature from the makers of our software package.  Sorry, we didn't write the software, we're just using it, as are many other associations. [Added note 8/8/06: an easier way to do this is just to click on Advanced Search!]

I also understand your concern about finding information on the disk.  We have had questions about this, too, and I recommended the following: "You could also take your C34IA CD-ROM, stick it in your computer's CD drive, and use Window's "Find" for a search on these topics."  One of the reasons for this is that the search feature on the disc, as I understand it, is "way old" computer technology, since it was developed in 2001, light years ago in computer time.  The filenames, which are pretty straightforward, on the files on the CD are available on your "D" drive in Windows Explore, too.

I also encourage folks to respond to the MB rather than separate emails to respondents, so that we all can view the pictures that may be available.  This post was helpful:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=2720.0.  Perhaps a photo of your particular setup that you've described in your most recent post would encourage some other responses.

Thank you again, for contributing and explaining your issues and concerns.  Please keep pointing out those areas that we can improve upon.   Remembering that this is an all volunteer group, we really do want to help.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Terry : With all of that experience from the O'Days' and Pearsons' and general computer knowledge; I'm sure that David (on the Web site), Mark (in Projects)and any others would be more than happy that you volunteered to help them make our C34 site better.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Terry Forshier

Ron, you are acting like a jerk here. I had a concern and voiced it and just because you seem to know the most about the boat(s) does not mean you need to be demeaning. Terry

BillG

It's funny, I started this topic in April with an inquiry about anchor windlasses and was chastised for not being a member nor researching the topic properly. I had to point out that I was a member and that prior topics did not answer my question.
Four months later and a lot of useful and varying information, BUT not much has changed, members are still chastised for what are perceived as dumb questions.  What ever happped to civility?
Bill
Rock Hall, MD

Ken Juul

For those in search of a picture.  Horizontal mounting in anchor well.  Hull #1090, 1990, Mk 1.5.  It's amazing how a picture highlights dirt.  The anchor well was scrubbed the weekend after I took the pictures!
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ken Juul

Not trying to pile on.  But everyone needs to be aware of when you are asking for things.  For many of us the boat is at least an hour away.  We only get to be aboard on the weekends.  Personnally I leave the computer at home on the weekends.  As much as I enjoy reading and contributing, I take a break on the weekend. I'll use Terry as an example only because he is the most recent. Terry you asked your first picture question on Saturday, then sent what was perceived as a blast on Sunday. Not alot of chance to respond.  I saw your request on Monday, but got caught up in "honey does" and didn't get around to posting my picture till today.  We do this because it is a passion.  Unfortunately most of us have full time jobs so we have to work around them.  If you don't like the service either figure out a way to help (which was Ron's point) or find a different place to ask.  If you don't like this board I suggest Catalinaowners.com as an alternative.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

Ken : Thanks for the picture of a 1989 anchor well with a factory installed windless. 
From 1989 to present (18 years of production) the C34 anchor well with factory installed windless essentially has not changed.  Have always looked at them at the boat shows with envy.   :cry4`
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

The electrical plan, DC, drawing # 34-72003-3, shows a Maxwell 800 windlass.  This is available at Manuals: http://www.c34.org/manuals/c34-mkII-owners-manual.pdf

As previously noted, thanks to Tom Lanzilli for the c34 Mark II manual and Universal engine manuals and Dave Sanner for posting them.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Ron Hill

Scotty : Look at Ken's reply (#22) and that's what all C34 factory installations look like 1989 and thereafter !!
You have a choice of having the windlass on the deck or in the anchor well. You have to make that choice.

It sure wasn't "dramatic" for me to choose and figure out how to put it in the anchor well !!  I sure didn't want the windlass motor hanging down into the overhead of the Vberth.   A thought  
Ron, Apache #788

scotty

Thanks Ron for the reply.  A question:  It sounds from Wayne's reply (#14), that the windless sticks up thought the anchor locker cover in his 2006 model.  Does that mean that it is above the level of the deck?  If that's the case perhaps someone might send a picture if you can.  It would be interesting to see.  Or, it might be that Ken's reply (#22) shows the most recent factory set-up.
Scotty

Ron Hill

Scotty : Look in Projects and the Mainsheet article as I've posted about 8 to 12? pictures on how to install it inside the anchor well. 
The information is out there but you have to read it and decide.  You can NOT do Kens installation unless you have a 1989 or later anchor well. 
Your choice.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson