Anchor Windlass

Previous topic - Next topic

BillG

Having recently installed new forward cleats and a bow roller I am now contemplating the installation of an anchor windlass.  Can anyone tell me what Catalina installs as an anchor windlass on their new 34s?  I am  looking at the Maxwell 500 and with  tackle weighing in at about 110 lbs it looks like it would handle those weights.  Any thoughts out there?
Bill
Rock Hall, MD

Stu Jackson

Bill

Perhaps you've seen Mark Elkins' work on the Projects page:  http://www.c34.org/projects/projects-anchor-windlass-rose.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Bill : You need to join the C34IA.  In this past issue (Feb 2006) Steve Lyle our C34 Tech Ed post two articles regarding your very question.  One on Mark's electric windless and another on Al Cameron's manual windless.

Great articles in those Mainsheet Tech Note articles!!!!   Join our Association and get the Mainsheet Catalina Owners magizine published every quarter.    :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

BillG

Actually Ron I've been a member of C34IA since I bought my boat, have a copy of every tech note that was ever written, and read them over and over.They are a great tool, and one of the reasons that makes owning a 34 so much fun. I have learned so much.
The Feb 2006 tech notes don't answer my question, Mark Elkins installed a Lewmar Anchorman, now discontinued and Allen Cameron installed a manual windlass.  I wanted to know what Catalina installs now as standard equipment and whether the group thought that the Maxwell 500 would be sufficient.
Bill
Rock Hall, MD

Ron Hill

Bill : Sorry, glad you're a member.
A friend installed a Maxwell windless this past winter in his 1989 C34.  He talked to Maxwell and decided to install an 800 so it wouldn't be underpowered.  Think his rational was correct as the larger windless (more hp/torque) will last longer over time. 
A thought.   :think
Ron, Apache #788

Momentum M

Bill...for your info...my 2005 MK II (1719) manufactured ( I guess) about 1 yr ago at this time and it has a Maxwell VW 500 and it handles very well my anchor (Bruce 33lbs) and 50' of chain.
I hope that's what you're looking for.
Serge
Serge & Carole Cardinal
C 34 Mk II 2005 - 1719
Wing Keel
Fresh water, Ontario Lake, Canada/Usa
On Hard from Oct to May

John Sheehan

Bill,

Our 2003 came with a Maxwell 800 and it works fine.  Even with the winch I normally motor up until we are just over the anchor and then use the winch.  If at all possible I do not use the winch to pull us against the wind or current.

John Sheehan
Sea Shell
2003 MKII  # 1642
Gulf Breeze, FL

John Langford

I have a Maxwell 500 in a 1999 MkII and it seems to handle as much 1/4" hi-test chain as I have to put out to securely anchor (I have 200+ ft). But the last two posts lead one to believe that Catalina has put both Maxwell 500s and 800s into the anchor lockers of Mark IIs in recent years. Could that be true?
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

chrisea

The threads and projects I have seen here describe a deck-mounted vertical windlass installation.  The factory installed windlasses are mounted inside the anchor locker.  Anyone know if the anchor locker on a 1989 C34 is sturdy enough to have the windlass mounted inside, or what kind of reinforcement would be necessary?

Chris
ChriSea #832

John Langford

Remember that if you mount a Maxwell 500 windlass inside the anchor locker so that the drum is horizontal as it is in the MK IIs then you can't use the window provided in the motor casing to check if the oil level is ok. The only way to check the oil level is to remove the windlass which I would bet very few of us are doing with any regularity.
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

jpaulroberts

Bill,

What bow cleats and roller did you install? I am about to do the same with a windless sometime in the future. Jerry

BillG

I installed  the Schaeffer 60-200 cleats (8 inches) and a  Windline CR-1 roller.
Bill
Rock Hall, MD

Mike Smith

Check my installation in the Projects section of the website.

Mike

Terry Forshier

Reading this through I still do not know where Catalina is putting the windlass. ? I was just at a boat store where I was advised to mount the windlass in the opening hatch cover and let the line drop into the well. ?? Anyone have a picture of where the windlass is on the deck? IN the well? or where? If so please send off list to Sailsman10@comcast.net ...Thanks Terry

Wayne

I don't have a picture, but I do have a new boat.  Mine has a hole in the anchor locker cover; the windlass sticks up through this hole.  They said Catalina does it this way now because you can easily use the windlass to lift someone up the mast, hoist a dink aboard, etc.  I don't remember the brand or model--think Maxwell?  Maxell?. 
2006 MKII Hull # 1762
San Francisco, Ca