transmision fluid

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Glennon

Gentlemen:  A little bug in my ear kept telling me: "Change the tranny fluid.... change the tranny fluid"  so, I dove in began what I thought would be a reather straight forward operation; I discovered that to remove the dipstick, I had to remove the heat exchanger, as the cradle-to-dipstick clearance was not sufficient to raise it out. Having searched various postings here, I also thought it might be good to change some hoses as well, since my vessel is a 1987 vintage, with M25XP, and the hoses have the original paint on them.  Preventive maintenance!

Here is my dilemma: I was able to suction out 8 ounces of fluid from the transmission housing.  Proir to removal, the dipstick was giving me a reading well over the ring on the lower portion that is the full indication.  I then put the new fluid into the housing, until I got a reading to the ring.  There is nothing I can find that gives the proper fluid amout in ounces anywhere.  I jsut want to make sure I am replenishing with an adequate amount. 

The tranny was functioning without any problems whatsoever, but I just wanted to be sure the fluid was clean and fresh.  The old fluid seemed to be a little thicker than the newer, as well as a little darker in color, but no sediments of any kind.  SHould I have been able to remove more than 8 ounces of fluid? Should I remove what I put in, and remeasure? The heat exchanger was clean, no deposits to mention, other than a couple of old fins from a past impellor, and a very little seaweed strands. I will clean it up, repaint it and replace the gaskets and zinc. Then, with the new hoses, All should be well.  8)

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Tom Glennon, Slow Dance #354, 1987, Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts

Jeff Kaplan

tom, i too just replaced most of the engine hoses on my 1986, with m25, as well as 17' of wet exhaust hose. heat x cleaned last season. i just drained t fluid and found it took about 11oz to fill to mark on dipstick. fortunately, i could remove dipstick without removing heatx. after you run the engine, be sure to check antifreeze level. i lost some when changing hoses and the engine will overheat, as i found out, if level is low.
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Tom Glennon

Thanks Jeff.... I plan on checking/filling the coolant when all is back together.  I just don't think I took as much as 11 oz to fill to the indicator on the dip-stick.  I'll be sure to check it again before reinstalling the heat exchanger.  I may just suck it out as much as possible, and refill again to try and be sure to have all new fluid, instead of a mixture of old and new.
Tom Glennon, Slow Dance #354, 1987, Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts

Jeff Kaplan

tom, it  was less than 11oz, as the info i got on line called for .29 of a quart for the hurst 50 coupled to the m25. whatever .29 of 32oz is, i figured to be about 9 or 10 oz. remember to check it with the dipstick in, but not screwed down. good luck...jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Mike Vaccaro

The Hurth HBW-50 only uses 9.25 ozs of fluid.

Cheers,

Mike
1988 C34 Hull #563
Std Rig / Wing Keel

Ron Hill

Tom : Rather than worrying about how much fluid the transmission holds here's what I did:
With the correct reading on the stick(at the line just setting in the hole) suck out as much fluid as you can.  Put it in a jar and with a file make a mark on the side and discard the old fluid.  Then fill that jar to the mark and you should be good to go.   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788