Prop shaft position out of water

Previous topic - Next topic

sojourney

Hi,
Replacing my cutlass bearing turned into a very challenging project because I was unable to locate the correct tool for the job. After alot of struggling I finally got it in place. Now I have new prop shaft, cutlass bearing, and coupling.
My question is this. I have to really pull up on the shaft to get the coupling mate to with the transmission. I've read in other threads that the hull bends to some degree while on the hard but I'm wondering is this is too much. Also when measuring with a feeler gauge, 3 of the 4 quadarants on the coupling mate well while my lower starboard one is a bit a way. Much more than something you measure with a feeler gauge. I've rotated the shaft measuring things and the larger gap stays in the lower starboard quaduarant.  I'm wondering if it's just the boat twisted a bit or something else is awry. When I had the engine aligned two years ago the mechanic was able to get it within 4 thousands.

I'm going to have the yard look at it tomorrow but if anyone has had a similiar experience I'd appreciate hearing about it.

thanks,
SO Journey #959

Ron Hill

So : The hull does some strange things on jack stands.  That's why you should NOT run a shaft alignment on the hard - you can get close, but the final one must be in the water.  Most people will tell you not to check shaft/engine alignment until the boats been in the water for 48hrs and the rigging is tuned(tuning also changes the shape of the hull).

Your mechanic should be able to get the alignment within .003" and most get it to within .001".  You have a 3 cylinder engine, I'd recommend that you get a flexible Vetus coupling and end any future alignments.   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788