New owners of 1988 C34, hull #570

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Forshier

Tomorrow is the day we get our new (new to us) 1988 Catalina 34. I must say the boat looks like brand new inside. The surveyor rated it well above average and we met with the sellers tonight and went through the boat again with them to get the final like "walk through". . (they are neighbors and on our canal here in Naples FL.)
When we did the prepurchase sail and survey I was sold when they rolled out the genoa and it was a multi colored sail. (so is the #110) The acessories are numerous and all kept in great condition. I am 3rd owner. Last owner had it since 2003 and is moving to a Catalina 38.
I sent in my association dues and hope to be an active participant in this list.  I would like to thank the list for the asssistance in what to look for (pros and cons)  in a 34. I have been working on this deal for weeks and yes, tomorrow is the day. Terry (and Rhonda)

Gary Ambrose

Congratulations on new ownership!  Have a great day today enjoying your new C34.  Of course, we all think they are great.  After 18 years of Catalina ownership (C25 for 16 and a C34 for 2) I remain delighted with quality, reliability and sailing characteristics.  In the boat yard yesterday a sailor that converted to power told me how much he misses his old sailboat.  He anticipates that at $4 a gallon diesel his boat will go in but stay tied to a mooring for the season.  With sail and a thrifty diesel we will certainly be off crusing by May 4th.

Have a great summer !

Roc

Terry & Rhonda,
Congratulations!!  The C34 if a fine sailing vessel.  You made a great choice.  Enjoy!! 
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Gary Ambrose

Terry and Rhonda,

How about a report on your first day as new owners?  Did you get to sail?

joe

good luck on your purchase. i,too, bought a 1988 c-34, with delivery on april 1. i've had 5 days of sailing in 15 to 30 knot winds. problems have been minimal and mostly due to inexperiance with the boat. joe
joe hamilton;  1988 catalina hull # 792; fresh water inland lake; "march hare"

Terry Forshier

We went today for our first sail by ourselves. It was great. the boat handled like a dream, Our old O'Day 30 , centerboard , was a good sailor but nothing like this. We had cold drinks as we sailed and when we got to the dock we firesd up the AC and worked in the cabin. (90 degrees outside)
Terry

dprvashon

:oops:
Terry & Rhonda... also congratulations. My wife and I also bought a 'new to us' 88 c34 hull #686 last May. We fell in love with Opus2 during the purchase process and couldn't wait for our first solo cruise.  Matter of fact, we won the "Dammit Award" at our yacht club on our first outing.  Having just come from a 22 foot with outboard, no one told me about the prop walk to port.  When backing from our slip, we had... a little difficulty and my wife did not like the affectionate name I kept calling her "FEND OFF".... (that was 1).  Once we got out of the alley way, we headed for a park in the harbor where we could practice picking up bouys and docking skills. I hooked a bouy the first time but forgot about putting the boat in neutral and the boat hook parted... (that was 2). So we went to the dock where I saddled up to it nice and slow and my wife stepped onto the dock with the bow line.  Had I again remembered to put the boat in Neutral, I would still have dock face but alas I kept going leaving her wondering if I would come back. I rounded up and tried again but came in a little short.  A fellow sailor was there to help with lines but being too far from the dock I decided to back up and get a better angle.  After backing a bit, and waving at my wife, who was frantically waving at me, I remembered the dingy tied aft at the exact moment the prop found the line... (that was 3).  After a $50 dive fee, I had a very shinny shaft.  No matter how many times I tell that story, I hear others that share similar experiences showing we are all a part of a great club.

Gary Ambrose

Dave,

Thanks....that was a great story !

David Arnold

Great story Dave...  I think we are all part of the same club when we first start out.  My first experience with my new C34 was relatively uneventful after leaving our slip the second time.  On the first attempt to get underway I untied all the dock lines, eased her into forward (we were strern too) only to find once we cleared the end piling that I had failed to disconnect the power cord! Opps!!!
David
"Prints of Tides"
Naragansett Bay, RI
2005 - #1707