Recommendation for Davits or "dingy-tow"

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad Taylor

Any recommendations for Divits or has anyone had experience with "dingy-tow" - attaches stern of dingy to boat and raises it, then drags only the bow in the water. I have a 10 foot hard bottom dingy with a 15hp 4 stroke. I really want to keep the motor on as I use it alot....or I'm lazy. Suppliers for both have suggested I could leave the moter on? With the dingy-tow I am worried about the slapping noise that I would guess the bow of the dingy makes going through the water.
#1464 Year 2000

JIM BRENER 1987 #504 "WI

When I purchased Wind Spirit it came with a Dingy Tow. I have used it with an 8ft soft bottom inflatable with out a motor.  I was pleased with it.  It does not make any noise when being towed in conditions of 2-3 seas.  I can raise it completely out of the water and haul the bow up so it rests on the arms and against the back stay ( a block it attached to the back stay above the split. Raising it also is a way to remove water. Kept it there for a week while at dock. I don't have a motor yet but if I get a smaller light weight motor, I think I could remove it from the dink to a bracket on the stern rail. It takes practice to attach the dink to the tow and return  to the boat.  Removing the tow from the dink
is easy.

I don't see many of these installed, but seems better than hauling it to the fordeck and equal to the more traditional methods.

Jim Brener
Wind Spirit #508