Honda 1000W Generator

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen Butler

We have been shoppig on line and there are numerous sources for the Honda, all of which we have never done business with.  Does anyone have a supplier for a Honda that they would recommend?  We will be making the purchase via the net and mail, so any recommendations would be appreciated.   Thanks.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Jeff Kaplan

a honda is a honda, and they are very good. shop for the best price. if you need warranty, you will go through honda, not the web site. send in the registration...jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Terry Forshier

I bought a Honda 2000Eui  and since I live in SW Florida I use it for power interuptions at home and for the boat too. When I bought mine the 1000's on line were about $700 the 2000 was under $1000. (Mayberrys I think) Quiet and I run my home refrig, freezer, TV and Fan on it after, Wilma, Katrina, Rita, Charlie, Francis, Jean and Ivan, Etc came by. You can hook 2 together and get 4000 Watts. This would run my AC at anchor.I am thinking of doing that. 
Has anyone put a generator in the stern lazarette area? Terry

Ron Hill

Steve : Mayberry's has the best price.  Their cost is less tax and includes delivery.  Look at them on the web.   :clap
Ron, Apache #788

Stephen Butler

Thanks Ron.  Will order one tomorrow.  I assume that you "hook up'" your unit through the shore power plug in the cockpit.  Am I correct?  I already have a Marinco cable with the correct plugs and thought I use it.  Thanks again.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Stu Jackson

Steve

I may have referred you to this link before, but please check out Hal's comments on page 3 of the thread about the compatibility of generators with combined inverter chargers and sizing: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=1563.30
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stephen Butler

Thanks Stu and Ron.  Ordered the EU1000 from Mayberrys...great service and great price.  Also checked the charger specifications.  We still have the Lewco charger that the PO installed in 1990, and it is still going well...including multi-stage charging.  One of these days we will change it out for something a bit smaller, more modern, etc., but for now, it works well, and we will install a Link 20. 
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Ron Hill

Steve : You'll love the Honda 1000.  I use a 12gage household dryer cord into a 30amp pigtail that plugs into the shore power connection. 
That gen set averages about 14/15 amps into my TrueCharge 20 battery charger.  Works great, fuel efficient and is quiet.   :clap
Ron, Apache #788

David Sanner

Seems that the EU1000 is ideal for charging the batteries and running
misc AC items but isn't powerfull enough to run the water heater.

Has anyone found a work around?  Say a lower wattage heating
element (the standard for the 6 gal is 1500 watts) ?

Or is the 2000 watt version or a Sun Shower the only way?

David Sanner, #611 1988, "Queimada" San Francisco Bay

Ron Hill

David : Even though my water heater say Seaward, I believe it's made by Atwood and is rated at 1200W. 
I've found that as you mentioned, the solar shower as the best substitute.  Don't know of a 1000W element. 
Still beats the storage problem that is associated with the Honda 2000W gen set!!   :think
Ron, Apache #788

Terry Forshier

I used my Honda iu2000 with a  Y splitter from the 3 prong extension chord outlet on the generator and run the 16000BTU AC and the boat both. No problem. The 2000 fits under the stairs on the little ledge. (set it outside to run)

Joe Kern

Terry - Are you saying you plug in the generator into the shore power outlet and are able to run the Air conditioning unit and also the rest of the 120 volt system?  I throught the start-up surge of the AC made that something that would not work.  The admiral would be very happy to know we could be on the hook with air.   
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Ron Hill

Terry : You're lucky that your 2000 Honda fits under the steps, but don't think I'd do that.  I'll check mine tomorrow as a friend has a 2000, but don't think it will fit in my 1988.
The reason I don't believe that anything with gasoline should be stored in the main cabin where there's a presents of open flame - oil lamps, candles and stove burners.  If you were able to run it dry (like an outboard) that MIGHT change my mind.  Just don't tell your insurance company that you're storing a gasoline appliance in the living quarters !!!!  :?
Ron, Apache #788

Terry Forshier

To answer questions. Yes I use the Honda 2000 to run the boat and the AC. I was unsure if it would work but I have tried it at the dock and it runs everything. As for storage I empty the fuel tank when carrying the generator and have used a old kerisun siphon hose with bulb. (used it once). Since this is a new boat to me I have not done it yet on a trip so do not know how this will end up in transporting on a trip. The lazerette is hard to access with the propane tank center in the middle top also the locker under the seat is too small. Sort of leaves not many options.