Bruce Anchors?

Previous topic - Next topic

jpaulroberts

I've already started a few threads on choosing an anchor. My debate was between Delta, CQR and Bruce. For a number of reasons I decided to go with Bruce but now I can not find a place to buy one. West Marine used to carry them, but now they only carry knock-offs. Defender dosnet seem to carry them any more. Then I went to Bruce's site and Bruce (Englands) says right on their site they no longer make anchors for the yachting market. They give a link to an Italian company. So Bruce's are no longer even made in the UK? And they are very hard to find? So now I think I'm back to Delta because I don't like an anchor with moving parts. Am I missing something? Jerry

Ron Hill

Jerry : FYI, my Bruce was made in Belgium.  Have you tried Ebay?   :idea:
Ron, Apache #788

Ron Hill

Jerry : Defender shows a "Genuine Bruce Anchor" listing on page 163 of their 2006 catalog.  So they must be wrong.  Interesting!   :!:
Ron, Apache #788

jpaulroberts

Ron, I'll check Defender's catalogue. Their Website only offers the Bruce 22. I've checked with several major distributors who say they can not get it. My guess is that once the UK company stopped making them for yachts, they made a deal with one or more EU companies to make them. That probably messed up distribution.

jpaulroberts

Ron, OK, I did check the Defender catalauge and you are right. I do not know where these are made, but I am sure they are the real thing. Thanks. Jerry

Terry Forshier

As a thought. Why would you chose an anchor that is not popular enough to continue in production.? Good and great anchors will have a long life and production run. Maybe you are missing something. Terry

Ron Hill

Sail : You may have a point, but It's hard to keep up with a Chinese "knock off". 
The only thing that would worry me about the look-a-like is the metallurgy composition, which MAY be substantially different.

You can't compete with someone that can produce it at 50% less, when the public will still purchase the cheaper rather than the more expensive version!! 
A few thoughts.   :think
Ron, Apache #788

sojourney

I my opinion I would go with some other anchor. I've seen several instances and heard of several more where a rock gets lodged in the claw of the anchor. My friend had to use a crowbar to get the rock out. With the rock in the claw the anchor will not hold. I know the Bruces are quick setting but I think this rock thing is a major issue.
Just my opinion

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."