Teak oil stains on deck

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark G

I spilled some teak oil on my gray non-skid deck areas while preparing my '91 C34 for launch. There are a few spots. Any good ideas on how to remove the stains? My dockmaster says to use acetone, but I worry it will hurt the fiberglass. Thanks.

Sailing Steve

I know that acetone will not bother cured fibreglass, but I don't know if it will effect the non-skid.  You could call a fibreglass repair yard, they'd know for sure.  Sorry, only half an answer...

Steve
'90 L'Abri
Hull# 1080
Steve
'90 Mk I.5 "L'Abri"
Hull# 1080

Bruce Hanson

Mark: I find that isopropyl alcohol is a excellent solvent for residue teak oil. We also use it to clean the surfaces of oiled surfaces with fewer hazards than acetone or MEK. I think you would be very safe by testing it on a remote corner of your anti-skid first. Good Luck!

Bruce Hanson
Andiamo #977

Ron Hill

Mark : You can use almost any solvent to get teak oil dissolved.  Acetone, lacquer thinner, MEK or alcohol - the key is the sooner the better.  If you drip it on any portlight/lenses only use alcohol or mineral spirits!!   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

Mark G

Thanks guys. We splash Saturday (Milwaukee Yacht Club) and I want to have the deck looking tidy before my slip neighbors see it.

Gary Ambrose

Mark,

Just to add the obvious.  Decks are very durable and the solvent/cleaners represent various levels of aggressive attack.  Not mentioned, but useful, is a scrub brush, with the solvents.  The brush can make contact on deck surfaces and textured glass surfaces, where a cloth rag cannot.