Head filling question

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

Dave's right, sounds like your joker valve on the head outlet needs to be checked and/or replaced, it's usually the first to go.  Rather than going on about heads on boats, I highly recommend going to THE Source, and purchase Peggie Hall's book (see www.catalinaowners.com to order).  She's the only one who has reliably documented everything you need to know.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

The dead give-a-way on a bad jocker valve is that it fills with the lever in "dry bowl".  Any doubt shut off the thru hull and if the bowl still fills you need a new joker valve!  Sometimes the color of the liquid - let you know.

If I had any problems with my vented loop setup, it would have been FIXED - long ago.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

David Sanner

I replaced the 1.5" jocker valve on my output side last year.  What fun!

My bowl stays dry when the selector is on dry but will overflow if left on wet.
(wish my bilge pump one way valve could handle the load on it as well)

So... it sounds like the vented loop on the suction side is the way to go
to prevent the bowl from flooding when the selector is left on wet.

Maybe the way to do this with existing parts (one vented loop) and two thru hulls
for head, shower, sink is this:

1. Tee the sink hose just below the drain and connect the hose from output of the
shower pump to the tee, then loop the hose high under the counter. The sink will
act a anti-syphon valve (the sink is currently a straight hose to the stopcock)
2. Hook the head hose to the vented loop that the shower pump was connected to.

When the sink is draining it shouldn't back up into the shower hose nor should the
shower hose back up into the sink.  Should work as good as the sink when heeling.

I'll look into the "Get Rid of Boat Odors" by Peggie Hall ... (I'm sure she mentions the values
of a well vented holding tank too)

I'm still curious what your three vented loops are hooked up to Ron.

David Sanner, #611 1988, "Queimada" San Francisco Bay