Bottom Paint

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Lanzilli

Can someone tell me how much paint it takes to apply one coat?  My plan is to apply 3 coats all together one probably red and the next two blue.  It would be helpfull if I can buy the right amount of paint while it is on sale.
Tom Lanzilli
Ithaka, 2004, #1660
Guilford, CT

Gary Ambrose

I use an ablative paint that wears away each season.  So I do one coat reapplication each year in coastal Maine sailing.  The boat is in 6 months a year.  The can suggests 400 sq. ft. per gallon of coverage.  It takes me 4-5 quarts per coat.  Hope this is helpful.

Ron Hill

TJL : You didn't mention if you are starting from the barrier coat or not.  If you are here's what I did.
1. Put on one coat of hard bottom next to the barrier coat in contrasting color to the barrier coat.
2. Cover the single hard bottom coat with a contrasting color ablative coat.  One coat!

Remember the old Chinese proverb : The more bottom paint that you put on , the more you'll have to take off!!

One single coat of ablative is good for about 1 to 3 years.  I've found that a re coat after 2/3 years is necessary to protect against slime, NOT barnacles.  You need to haul the boat in that time to clean off the junk from the running gear anyway.

To answer your question on the amount of paint per coat.  I can do my bottom with 1 gallon per coat.  
I'm sure you'll get all kinds of advice.     :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

and, if you can buy the stuff on sale, then get as much as you can afford.  You'll surely need more in the future. :D ...and it's not going to get any less expensive.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

John Fogelgren

For "Hard Bottom Paint", what size  roller do you suggest - 1/4" or 3/8" nap?  And do you dilute your paint with paint thinner?
"Finally!!" #718, 1988
Chesapeake Bay

Jeff Kaplan

i use act single season ablative antifouling paint and can do the bottom and rudder with one gallon...jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Ron Hill

John : For a smoother finish use a 1/4" nap.
On thinning the paint? - you'll need to watch the weather and humidity.  If It's hot and dry the roller will start to "pull" and you'll have to thin the paint.  Usually the best time to paint is early AM.   :clap
Ron, Apache #788