Standing rigging tension?

Previous topic - Next topic

SPLETS

I bought a 1987 C-34 and in a good blow the leeward shrouds became quite loose.  I tightened each one about 1.5 turns and all is better.  How tight should the shrouds be?  Do you use a loos gauge and tighten to some specs?  What size are the shrouds?

Stu Jackson

Hi

See the Manuals: http://www.c34.org/manuals/index.htm

Easiest way to tension the rigging properly:

go sailing

observe leeward shrouds somewhat loose

tighten them halfway

tack

tighten the other side the other half

The idea is to balance the tension on both sides and to avoid adjusting the turnbuckles when under any load, including at the dock.

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

rirvine

I would add few things to Stu's guidance.  Before starting out with adjustments under sail:

1. Make sure the top of the mast is in the center of the boat
2. Adjust the lowers so the mast is in column – straight
3. Port and starboard lower tension should be the same
4. Aft lower tension should be less than the forward lower tension
5. When you make adjustment while sailing, adjust them the same number of turns on both sides.   This will keep the mast straight
6. If the top of the mast falls off to leeward while sailing, the upper will need to tightened.

If all else fails have a rigger make a boat call to get the initial set up correct.

skyward

Hi Stu, what did you mean by the phrase " tighten them halfway " ?
Jeff Lukowski
1996 Catalina 34 MkII
Tall Mast, Wing Keel, 35# Mantus M-1, M35 Universal
"Skyward", Hull #1307

Stu Jackson

Quote from: skyward on August 28, 2020, 05:38:44 PM
Hi Stu, what did you mean by the phrase " tighten them halfway " ?

Jeff,

Because you're tightening only one half of the total load at a time.  Do it halfway, tack, then check the other side.  Repeat as necessary.

It's an incremental process.  Folks with gauges think it's a measurement.  But even with a gauge, one3 should do the finals by a trail sail.

The linked manual is a good read.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

CORRECTION, ooops.

Interesting question.... 

If due to an out of plumb keel or unbalanced boat, there is a significant port list.

At the dock, should one keep the mast square to the deck (i.e., port-listed, to heck with the list while sailing,) or align the mast PLUMB (not @ a right angle to the hull, and counteract for the port list)?

[/quote]
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

skyward

Thanks, Stu. Makes sense to me.
Jeff Lukowski
1996 Catalina 34 MkII
Tall Mast, Wing Keel, 35# Mantus M-1, M35 Universal
"Skyward", Hull #1307