In mast furling main?

Previous topic - Next topic

salsailor

Does anyone have the in mast furler on their C34? Or have you sailed one with it?

How much performance do you have to sacrafice because of lost of sail area?

And more importantly, does the extra weight on the mast cause any balance problem? How about the balance of sail? Can you still adjust the balance of sail since you cannot bend the mast anymore. What about the weather healm? Or lee healm?

I'm looking for a used C34 now and just wonder if the in mast furler will ruin all the good things we know about this nice vessel.

Ron Hill

Sal: You need to look for a MKII with a roller furling main (1995 and later).  I believe that on all of the new MKII's it's standard, but the earlier boat had it was an option.
I've been told by MANY people that the loss of the "roach" on the main isn't noticeable. 
Good Luck in your quest!!   :thumb: 
Ron, Apache #788

David Arnold

Sal,
I have the in mast furler and love it!  I can't address all of your concerns as I have not sailed a C34 without in mast furler.  I think the only compromise is in a close reach.  I can't seem to head up (into the wind) as well as other boats on a similar tack.  That said, for the convenience I personally would not get another boat without the mast furler! :clap
David
"Prints of Tides"
Naragansett Bay, RI
2005 - #1707

Jeff_McKinney

Sal,

I'm in the same position as David. However, I believe the furling main is listed as an option. Check with your dealer to be sure. Losing 3-5 degrees of pointing ability is not that critical for me. However, being able to furl without going up on the wet pitching cabin top by yourself (first mate steering) is a real pleasure, especially in a quick hitting squall.  :abd:
Jeff McKinney,  Event Horizon;  Upper Chesapeake Bay

Joe Kern

I will chime in too.  I was reluctant to get the in-mast furling as it seemed like it was taking away some of what makes sailing special.  However the boat we bought slightly used already had it so it was not an option to avoid.  Not sure what I was thinking but I love it.  Easy to "raise" and "lower" and of course reefing is a breeze.  As we cross the Gulfstream and cruise the Abacos this summer I know that if I see bad weather on the horizon I can easily and quickly get the main down and safely furled without messing with the cabin top, sail ties etc. The boat seems so much faster and more responsive than my Catalina 270 I have yet to notice that I have given up any significant pointing ability.  So far I really like the in-mast furling.

The mast appears to have a separate track which would allow a regular main to be raised.  Anyone know if converting to a regular main is an option?  Also, had not really thoguht about it, but wondering where the antenna and electrical lines run in the mast since the sail when furled seems to take up quite a bit of space.
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Momentum M

Hi Joe...the answer to your last question.  The mast is compartmented in 2 so they don't touch in any way.
Hope it help
Serge
Cat34Mk II - 1719
Serge & Carole Cardinal
C 34 Mk II 2005 - 1719
Wing Keel
Fresh water, Ontario Lake, Canada/Usa
On Hard from Oct to May

paule

I have it on my 2003 and love it and the captain loves it more than me.
As to performance I have raced another c34 in my marina and have beat him 2 out of 3 times.

Would never consider to go back to a full batten main again

Paul
Paul & Lynn Erb
Yachta Yachta Yachta
C34 2003 #1634
Rotonda West, FL 33947