Permission to come aboard?

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveLyle

Got the word today that my purchase offer for an '86 Cat 34 was accepted, so I'm a "pending" sailor - hopefully the survey won't turn up any major surprises.

I found this site really helpful as we were looking for the right boat, and I look forward to being more of a participant than a lurker.

I've got a ton of questions, here's a few starters:
1) Boat doesn't have a roller furler.  Any recommendations?
2) Boat has the original sails (main, 100, 150).  Any opinions on the best sail inventory for a daysailer/weekend cruiser on Lake Ontario?
3) What are the 3 most important things for a new owner to be aware of (I already know about the alternator bracket - over:bad, under:good)?

Steve

c34member

1.) Schaefer 2100.

2.) 135% Genoa with foam pad so it will be more efficient when reefed.  (If the 150 is in good shape, Sail Care at www.sailcare.com (800) 433-7245 can re-cut it and recondition it for a lot less $$$).  If you go out in everything, pick up a 100 sq. ft. ATN Gale Sail to slip over the furled genny for stormy winds.

3.) Is this your first boat?
     a.) Maintain the engine well.  Get a copy of Nigel Calder's Electrical & Mechanical Systems book.
     b.) The wind is stronger than you.  Use the mechanical advantage of the winches at all times.
     c.) Keep up enough speed when docking to give you steerage.  Her prop walk is to port.

3A.) Specific to a C-34.
     a.) Drill a 1/2" or 3/8" hole through the upper liner just under the transmission/prop shaft so that water from the stuffing box will not collect there and spill into the sole of the rear berth.
     b.) Reef at 18 to 20 knots of wind.
     c.) Set up the mast with a three or four degrees of aft rake and she will point better, especially the wing keel version.

Good choice of boat. ;-)

[This message was edited by Charlie Pearsall #1515 '00 "Delirious" on October 04, 2001 at 09:40 AM.]

[This message was edited by Charlie Pearsall #1515 '00 "Delirious" on October 04, 2001 at 09:41 AM.]

Stu Jackson

Steve

What is the hull #?

1.  Roller furling will have a lot of different answers.  We have a 1986, too, and just installed a new ProFurl unit.  I chose that because it is NO maintenance, which is right up my alley.

As always, you'll obtain at least 5 different answers from any three folks you ask!

2.   Sails differ by area and what you expect to do with them (cruising, racing, etc.).  The original Catalina sails from your vintage weren't very good to begin with, but I suggest you try them out, ask around locally and find a good deal.  Used, or reconditioned sails are also an option if you're on a budget (and who isn't?).  We obtained a great 110% jib for $100 from someone who was going to Mexico and had bought a larger headsail.  Serendipity.

3.  Three most important things you can do:

(1)  Learn as much as you can personally about your boat and avoid the dreaded "But my (mechanic, electrician, dock neighbor, etc.) told me...."  Figure out the hoses, the wires and all the subsystems.  It'll take some time, so don't figure to be able to figure it all out right away.  Charlie's right about Calder's book.  Your boat already has the hole from the engine pan to the bilge.

(2)   Get VERY familiar with the C34 website, especially the FAQs and Projects.  The Tech Notes Online are also very useful.  You'll find that just about everything has been done before.  Do your research.  The Tech Notes Online Index will be very helpful to browse the subjects.

(3)   USE THE BOAT AS OFTEN AS YOU CAN.  The more time on board, the more comfortable you'll get, the more FUN you'll have and the more you'll find you can do it yourself.

Welcome aboard.  Enjoy.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

dsavary

I have a Hood 915 Line Driver (used 3 months) that orginally came with my 1991 c34.  We went through a hurricane that year and the only damage to me was a torn jib  Insurance paid for the sail replacement and I was offered a great price formthe sail and a new (just came out Schaffer 2000 unit).  The Hood unit was sent back to the factory, they install a newer version of torlon bearings. I never reinstalled it. I have the rods, furler, line and blocks. Interested?

Doug "SHANA"
1138 c34

dave davis

Stu, your answer to this post was well put and  I totally agree...;
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach

SteveLyle

This is our second boat.  First was an O'Day 22 that we sailed for 7 years on Lake St. Claire when we lived in Detroit.

Hull # is 75.  Full # is CTYP0075K586.  Built in 1985 as a 1986 model, correct?  What's the K mean?

Thanks for the advice, all.  I'm looking fwd to both the sailing part and the "messing about in boats" part of learning all the systems and keeping the boat up.  The only thing that's truly busted on it now is the display unit for the knot/speed/wind meter, a Si-Tex by Dana Plus that looks like someone whacked it with a hammer.  Other than that it just needs some TLC.

Steve

Ted Pounds

Steve,

Let me add my greetings to the list.  You picked a great boat.  The only other thing I can add is that you should look into the Hood LD roller furler Doug is offering.  I have the Hood 915 LD on my boat and I love it.  I've had no problems with it (except the time the boat stored next to mine fell over and his mast bent one of the extrusion sections).  I really like the continuious loop control line as I never have to worry about too much or too little line on the drum.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

SteveLyle

Doug - I'm interested, check your email

The History section says that in '86 the mast was deck-stepped.  This one is keel-stepped.  Is the History in error?  Did Catalina try different methods in the first year?

I've got Calder's book on order.  There'll be plenty of time to read it this winter.

Steve

Stu Jackson

Steve

The History section says that in '86 the mast was deck-stepped. This one is keel-stepped. Is the History in error? Did Catalina try different methods in the first year?

YOU BET.

There were a number of un-documented changes.

Our #224 is keel stepped, and there are a number of our compatriots that are otherwise-stepped.

There were also some major modifications made during that early production period, all of which were not included in the general descriptions.

Based on the "written" stuff, we should have a NON stepped mast with NO rigging.

What you have is what you have. I've learned to live with that, in spite of what they said it is we should have.

Besides, what a great boat!  

Answer to your question:  YES, you should have a deck step, reality says: you don't, and neither do we, and I like it that way. We have what we have, and love it.

Without a keel stepped mast, how could we ever  understand mast slap with internal wiring?

The deeper the stick, the better the boat.

Don't believe any of the above.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Stu Jackson

Steve

Check FAQs, or do the Search on the website:  "hull number" (search exact phrase).  That'll answer your question.

Stu

chughes82

Welcome to the club!  

I've got an '86, hull number 223.  Feel free to e-mail me directly at chuckhughes@yahoo.com any time you have questions. I'm sure you'll find that you'll gradually learn each of your boat's systems as they break down, wear out, or otherwise need repair or upgrading.

Chuck Hughes
Sand Save #223 (1986)
Long Beach, CA

bobmack

That character position is the manufacture month. Your boat was built in November (K being the 11th letter of the alphabet). BTW - I have hull # 52 which was built in October.

SteveLyle

Saw the FAQ on hull #'s earlier today.

Thank you anyway, Stu.  You're obviously from the "teach a man to fish" school.  By the way, my check's in the mail.

The boat gets surveyed on Monday.  We should close sometime next week.  This week I:
- ordered the books you recommended
- checked into insurance
- lined up storage and docking
- read everything I could find at the various Cat sites
- started drawing up plans for a winter cover frame
- started making out lists
  - things that need maintaining
  - things to upgrade
  - things that to upgrade when I win the lottery
  - things to repair
  - places to go

I've gotten little or no work done this week.  AHA! - that's why I should have picked a nickname when registering for this site, just in case my boss is a Cat owner too.  Or one of you squeals.

I knew that this would happen.  We were planning to buy something in the spring.  That way I wouldn't get too antsy waiting for the thaw with a boat on my hands.  It looked like a 28' something had everything we wanted/needed (Cal, Pearson, Catalina looked good, leaned toward the Cal but not too many of them around, probably would have been the Cat, didn't like the Hunter).  Then we saw this '34.  Wow, whole 'nother deal, and it was being offered for less than any of the nice 28's we'd seen.  Priced to move.  Knew it wouldn't last, offered a bit less than that, and SOLD!

Is there a cure for this?  Hope not.

Steve

kenkillian

Let me add another welcome from another 86 owner.  Our Puff is hull #19 and we couldn't be happier.  And no, there is no cure, only relief; and that is, use your boat, even if it is just spending weekends on it.  Congratulations on your new boat!!

c34member

Oh Steve, you got it bad . . . and that's good.  I see you are from Rochester.  If you get into a spot and need professional help or advice, contact Navy Point Marine.  I got my C-34 through their Sackets Harbor NY location and I trust them implicitly.  They sell a lot of Catalinas.  Visit them at www.navypointmarine.com to find out where their Rochester office is.

I've had mine two years, and I still keep adding to my list.  That's what makes it so fun!