Head sink drain

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Martinson

Last year my head sink drain leaked - previous owner "caulked" the makeshift connection to the hose.  I know I need to replace the drain assembly and ordered a new drain from Catalina parts...unfortunatley they sent me 2 galley sink drains instead - another subject.....anyways - I mostly work by my self since my boat is far from my house.....any suggestions on how to hold the drain in place while removing the nut underneath?  At the end of the season I tried holding the drain still with a screw driver in the hole but I couldn't break it loose.  I found a forespar plastic drain that looks like the right size and plan on trying it.  Any suggestions are appreciated...thanks

Chris Martinson
More Therapy
Chris Martinson
More Therapy
1989 Hull # 945

Jeff Kaplan

chris, i replaced my head sink drain end of last season. it  took a little bit of effort to remove the bottom nut, but it did come off. i used 2 slip joint pliers, one to hold the drain, while i put the other on the nut.you might want to spray a little pen. oil on first. the nut broke, but one came with the new drain, which i picked up at a local hardware store. it is awkward to work in that small space, but put the pliers on, and give it a rip...jeff.
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Stu Jackson

Try P B Blaster.  It's been mentioned in recent threads here, it's an aerosol that's multi-times better than liquid wrench.  Purchase at any hardware store.  Spray it on, wait a day or so and things should be loose.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

PAUL T.

CHRIS...... I had the same problem with my sink drain at home....... I just cut the nut with a hacksaw, it doesn't matter how much you destroy the old drain. Just be carefull not to damage anything else. A "SAWZALL" would be real slick..........PAUL

Ron Hill

Chris : You didn't list your year or hull # !?! 
The drain fixture in the head is unique because of the very narrow lip flange on the sink side of that fixture (maybe only1/4").  If you need to get a replacement, you'll have to go to Catalina, as I've never found one anywhere else.  The under side nut is common to the small drain and you can find that nut at almost any plumbing supply store - just take the stopper and they'll know the small sink drain size that you need.  I think the "almost like" total assembly is only about $4, but it's top flange will be TOO wide to fit the recess in the head sink (galley will, but the head sink won't!).
To get that nut off I'd use a Dermal tool and cut the nut in two places being VERY careful of the threads that the nut is mating to!!. 
At the same time, I'd also change to a 1" hose like I did so the sink would drain a little faster. The thru hull will accept a 1" hose!! 

The way I found to keep the "X" in the drain from turning when you tighten the underside nut, is to put the handles of a slip joint pliers in the drain and hold the pliers with vice grips.   A few thoughts   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Chris Martinson

Thanks for the great advice.

Chris
More Therapy
1989 #945
Chris Martinson
More Therapy
1989 Hull # 945