Cruising Western Florida in June

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen Butler

We are planning to bring Wildflecken II, from Marathon up to Tampa, during the 2nd and 3rd weeks of June.  She is a standard 1990 C34, with a fin keel, new deeper rudder, and a standard mast. The initial plan is to sail down to Key West in the Hawk Channel, then take the Key West to Marco Island passage on a 24 hour sail, then hop up the coast to Tampa, in a series of 20 to 50 mile daily sails.  Once in Tampa, the plan is to place the boat in dry storage until December.  We know we will have to watch the weather, but any advice on anchorages, marinas, dry storage places in Tampa or nearby, etc., would sure be appreciated.  We have purchased Claiborne's cruising guide, and most of the needed  charts, have a GPS, etc., but nothing beats some local knowedge.  Many thanks.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

karista

Stephen
You will not find many places to dry dock your boat in the Tampa area. Within the last few years almost all marinas that offered these services have been bought by Developers who are building condos there. Sneads boat yard in Bradenton is one you could call, other than that one, I can not think of any left here. You may want to consider the Ft. Myers area, or going further north.
Bernd, 1990- Hull 1012, Gulfport, FL

paule

You might want to try Gasparilla Marina in Placida they do haul outs.  We were just down there looking for a marina for our boat.  Not many places left for slips seems all are going to condos. :? Looks like marinas are starting to beacome a thing of the past like records and 8 tacks.

Paul
Paul & Lynn Erb
Yachta Yachta Yachta
C34 2003 #1634
Rotonda West, FL 33947

Terry Forshier

I live in Naples and your draft will limit you if you enter the IC in Marco to Naples. Also do not go inside Cape Romano shoals and into the Goodland area with 5' draft unless it is very high tide. You will still have trouble going from Goodland to Marco IC. (in Little Marco pass the island "coconut island" is gone so do not look for it.) The "naturalists" dug up all the non native trees three years ago and it just washed away)
Best for you if you are stopping is shark River then around cape Romano shoals then past Marco to Naples. Gordan pass is good and you can anchor in amopng the million dollar homes in the bays or go on up to city Marina. If you pass Shark River then just go to Gotdon Pass. (8 miles past Marco) Naples is a great place to stop, overnight, eat at the Dock resturant. Bum around then leave early next day.

Entering into the channel between Sanibel and Ft. Myers looks like areal wide easy access channel but you need to stay within the markers. I r
bumped in there with a lot less than 5 feet down. Once in the channel you are all set. The Hurricane Charlie rearranged the barrier islands but the channel is still good.
I am in the canal system in the bay so if you need more let me know. I am in prepurchase survey mode on an 88 C34, which is why I saw this post.  Terry in Naplles