Sails for Sale

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Bain

I have a very good set of sails....with blue UV on Genoa that I am going to be selling. Still life left in the Dacron.
QUESTION....not sure the jenny is a 120,130,150 ????
It is 21 feet from the tack to the clew....does anyone know how to determine the size...ie 130?
The C34 is a standard rig....

Thanks
Richard
Pazzo, Bayfield ON
Richard Bain
"PAZZO"
London, ON, Canada

dave davis

I might be able to shed a little information on the way to measure the size of your jib. First of all, the distance from the tack to the clew is not the way. That is an interesting number but not usable when talking about jib size.
The method which is universal is this. Take a measurement from the crew to the least perpendicular to the luff. That is called the LP of the sail. If the number is 13.5 feet, then the sail is 100%. The 13.5 number is the J measurement and for a Catalina 34 the J is the distance from the mast to the tack which is 13.5.  If that distance  is 17'7" than the sail is a 130%. If the distance is 20.25, than the sail is a 150% Get it? In other words, The LP has to be compared to the J to determine the size of your sail.
I hope that this is clear and I did not try to explain all this too late at night.
Good Luck, Dave
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach

Stu Jackson

Dave's right.  You 'll have to go back to some high school trigonometry -- dontcha just love sailing? :cry4`

The LP is a line perdpendicular to the luff that goes through the clew.  Then use Dave's measurements to figure out what size sail you have.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Rick Allen

Richard, regardless of size, I might be interested in your headsail(s).  Please email me at rick.allen@dgs.ca.gov or give me a call at 916 718 3789.

Rick
s/v Painkiller
1988 C34
San Francisco, CA
Rick Allen, C34 IA Commodore
Former owner of "PainKiller", 1988 C34 MKI, Sail#746, std. rig, wing keel.

George Bean

My guess is that you may have something larger than a 130 genoa.  The 130 has an LP of 17' 7".  The length of the corresponding foot dimension is dependant upon how high or low the sail maker places the clew.   For example, my 130's foot is 18' 8" or approximately five percent longer than the LP.  The higher the clew, the longer the foot for a given LP.  I would guess that with a foot of 21 feet you may be looking at a 150 or 155 (how low is that clew?  Do you have to skirt the sail over the lifelines?)

Speaking of sails for sale, I have a factory 110, (royal) blue UV cover that was only used for about a year or two and has been languishing in my garage for last five years.  If anyone is interested, make me a (reasonable) offer.

George Bean
Freya #1476
Alameda, Ca.
George Bean
s/v Freya  1476

Rick Allen

George, I am interested.  Please email me at the post above address.

Terry Forshier

George Bean

Lapper Provenance
My 110 is in "close to new" condition.  I used it mostly during the first year after I splashed Freya.  I subsequently bought a 130, then a blade, and the 110 was regulated to the garage.  New, these sails go for in the range of $1,100 - $1,300 and I was thinking about selling mine for half that.  I've checked Minneys, Bacon and the Sail Warehouse and their prices are in the $400 ("bad" condition") to $800 range.  I was thinking in the neighborhood of $500.  Any offers?  The sail is in my garage in Santa Clara, the boat is in Alameda.  This weekend isn't good for me, but perhaps next weekend we can get together and I can show you the sail (If your boat is in the Bay area, we could even bend it on your forestay and see how it looks.  For you out of towners, if you are interested, I can spread the sail out and take a few digital photos of it.

George Bean
Freya #1476
Alameda, Ca.
George Bean
s/v Freya  1476

Rick Allen

George, see my PM.

What size jib do you mostly use in the bay during the summers?

sailingdolphin

Is the sail still available? is it Standard or Tall? Please email @ sailingdolphin@earthlink.net

Also looking for a spinnaker.  Thanks
Doug and Donna #171