sliding companionway hatch scraping coach top--manufacturing flaw?

Previous topic - Next topic

kerk fisher

We have a 90, #1102, and the sliding companionway hatch scrapes the coach top because there's no clearance as it gets to be about half way closed. Fiberglass on the top of the sliding hatch is beginning to be scraped away, and it's hard to pull the hatch closed.  Nothing seems to be damaged, such as the coach top being flattened, and the teak piece is undamaged.  I've seen another '90 just a few #'s away and there is a good 1/2+ inch clearance all the way closed. I've taken pix and thought of sending to Gerry Butler--is this a manufacturing flaw on Catalina's part? Or is there something I can do about it?  thanks, Kerk
Kerk Fisher
C34, Into the Mystic II
Hull #1102, 1990
Sailing the North Channel, Lake Huron
908 Wicksbury Place, Louisville, KY 40207
Louisville, KY 40205
502-454-7759
Alternate email: kerksailmystic@gmail.com

Ron Hill

Kerk : Don't quite understand what it's scraping?
In your estimate is the sliding hacth too high? or too low?  If you can tell me that I think I can help.

BTW, it's Gerry Douglas VP/designer and Frank Butler HMFWAIC. 
Ron, Apache #788

Steve Hansen

Kirk: I've noticed this with Georgia Peach, 1987 #349. I used Elmer's Slide all on the hatch top and it seems fine. It rubs a small amount but not enough to harm anything.

Steve
Steve Hansen
Georgia Peach 1987 #349
Tall Rig/ Wing Keel
Universal M25XP

kerk fisher

Answer to Ron. I believe, from seeing the boat similar to ours, that the coach top is too low, with not enough curve. that's just a guess. It could be that the sliding hatch is moulded too high.  I have a picture of the hatch all the way open and you can see a nice roomy gap all the way across. But as I start to close the hatch the gap gets smaller and smaller very quickly until the sliding hatch top surface and the aft edge of the coach top are touching. Steve, you're idea of putting slide all on the hatch top we can try, although I already did try to lubricate to no avail. I'ts just too close a fit. Thanks for your help!!! I even stuck a wood file under the edge of the coach top, the section that the teak strip is attached to and filed away trying to create space. What a barbaric act!! And it still didn't do much. Kerk
Kerk Fisher
C34, Into the Mystic II
Hull #1102, 1990
Louisville, KY 40205
502-454-7759

kerk fisher

Ron, do you have advice on this? I hope I clarified your question. thanks, Kerk
Kerk Fisher
C34, Into the Mystic II
Hull #1102, 1990
Louisville, KY 40205
502-454-7759

Ron Hill

Kerk : I seriously doubt if your boat was manufactured and left the factory 16 years ago with that flaw!!
It almost sounds as though there's something in the track that's causing the hatch to ride up at the half way point! 
It's somewhat a pain, but here's what I recommend you do:
1.  Remove the 6+ ft long teak strips on each side of the hatch top.
2.  The coach top that the hatch slides into will be exposed.
3.  Remove the 6 screw on each side of the coach top that hold it to the deck.  The front(forward edge) will be caulked.
4.  With the coach top removed you now can remove the sliding hatch completely and examine the track that it slides in.

Give me a call (540)891-5297 if you have any questions.  I can tell you the how-to, as I just put mine back together on Friday!!   :clap
Ron, Apache #788

mholzmann

Stop Screeching Companion Way Hatch Available Now

Screeching Companion Way Hatch?  Many years back Graham Mackay posted a solution to a screeching companionway hatch sliding against the cabin top.  I followed his instructions to the letter and it solved my problem.
New problem is I needed to buy a huge sheet of plastic 48" x 92" to get (2) 1"x 72" x 1/16.  So needless to say I have the ability to make a lot of strips.  If you have a screeching hatch  $15.00 paid to paypal will deliver a set of pre cut strips to your door.  These really work they install in minutes with no removal or alteration to the hatch assembly.  Please include your mailing address and email address.  www.paypal.me/markholzmann/15  (link is external)  Questions? email me at holzie at gmail dot com. https://youtu.be/1AOsPGluaDs (link is external)

https://youtu.be/ekbxBGqnxgI

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

mholzmann

rmbrown

I have the same dragging sliding hatch in mine.  Gelcoat is noticeably worn and scratched on top of the hatch.
Mike Brown
1993 C34 Tall Rig Wing Keel Mk 1.5
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC