Digital voltage readout.

Previous topic - Next topic

John Coulthard

I would like to replace my analog voltmeter with a digital one. I could put a digital one anywhere in the navigation area, but more ideally would prefer to put it where the analog one currently sits (Switch panel, lower right side under the big battery selector).

Has anyone tried this? Did you find a meter that will fit in the same space? Supplier?

Thanks, John (Galiander, Hull #1001, 1989)

jbstack28

So where can I find this "E-Meter".  Thanks for the information.

Stu Jackson

John

Depends on what you need it for.  Ron Hill had a good idea recently that was either included in Mainsheet or in one of these posts:  he installed two small plugs in the panel faceplate, and just plugged his digital multimeter right into them when he wanted more specific, digital readouts than the analog meter would provide.  Seems an easier way to go than replacing the whole existing meter. The E meter does a lot more than just voltage readings and since it does amperage, too, would require a shunt.  Hope you had a great cruise, hi to Eleanor.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stu Jackson

John

Check the May 2000 Issue of Mainsheet on the Tech Notes Online, that's where Ron's article is about the simple plugs.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

John Coulthard

I haven't read the tech notes article yet but I already have a couple of posts installed in the panel and I do hook up my digital multimetre to it to get a more accurate reading. They have been useful for other purposes as well.

This year I found myself leaving my digital multimetre hooked up quite a bit of the time and got kind of interested in the behaviour of the battery under different conditions (I have two solar panels).

I want to "unclutter" my navigation table by putting in a more permanent meter.

I am familar with the "E" meter but don't feel a strong need for something that sophisticated at this time.

I'll report back on what I end up installing.

John (Galiander, #1001).

Stu Jackson

John,  You may want to try using a saddle hook to hold the voltmeter up against the panel.  The saddle hook is just a small bent piece of metal with two loops for screws at each end.  You could get one that is deep enough to just slide your meter into vertically and it wouldn't be laying on your nav table.  I use a saddle hook on the side of our cockpit drink holder, and clip the back of the handheld VHF onto it.  Works great there, too.   The shape is like this:

__/-----\__  with the --- as high as the tops of the / & \

Best regards,  Stu