Icebox hinges and galley lighting

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff_McKinney

Spring project #2:

I'd like to install a set of hinges on the icebox hatch and some sort of device to keep it from flopping down on my arm once it's open. I looked back through the tech notes to 1995 but either missed it or didn't go far back enough. Can any of you talented folks offer advice on the types of hardware and installation hints?

Thanks
Jeff McKinney,  Event Horizon;  Upper Chesapeake Bay

Roc

Jeff,
I bought two hinges, each side has holes for 3 screws.  I probably got hinges alittle beefier than needed, but I figured that fridge door is rather heavy.  To hold up the fridge hatch in the open position, I didn't want to use one of those spring arms, seen at WM or B/US.  The reason is I had another boat with that set up and everytime my arm would bump up against the spring, the lid would come crashing down!!  At a boat show, I noticed some of the larger Catalinas (I think it was a 400), that had a retractable arm that was used to hold up the fridge hatch.  This is the type of arm that when the hatch is lifted, you go all the way up to trip a lever that holds the arm in the fully extended position.  When you want to close the hatch, you push the hatch open to disengage the lever, then the arm will telescope, allowing you to close the hatch.  Works great!!  The boat model was made in Florida, so I called and spoke to Warren Pandy.  He sold me two of them and I installed the other one to hold up the hatch over the engine compartment. 
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Stu Jackson

Jeff and Roc

We did the hatch spring holder when we first got the boat with simple hinges.  Roc noted: "every time my arm would bump up against the spring, the lid would come crashing down!!"

I actually have used that to our advantage.  When I retrieve stuff from the fridge, I just use my elbow to start the lid closing and then let it come down most of the way with my elbow, then let it drop. You can see the hinges at: http://www.c34.org/projects/projects-aquavite.html.  Scroll down to see the pictures.  Sorry about the mess in the galley, but I was installing lights.

To avoid having the elbow problem, put the hinge on the forward side of the icebox lid.  We put ours on the aft end, hence the elbow issue (or advantage) - your call. :D

We had more room than Susan's pictures (below) so our hinges are flat on the counter rather than connecting to the starboard side vertical wood.

Jeff, just get a set of inexpensive hinges.  I'd get 'em from a hardware store, rather than WM, same stuff, cheaper by a lot.  Some people buy hinges that separate (like Susan's picture below) , but I see no reason to do so.

If you don't like the spring thing, just add a little line to the top and hook it up to the wood above the galley on a C hook.

Jeff, you're right you didn't go back far enough - try the November 1990 Tech Notes.  Look under Cabin Modifications.

I have previously recommended that searching the Tech Notes Index is MUCH easier if you just copy and paste the index into your word processors, and then use the wp search CNTL F or F2 to find things.  I used "ice" and looked through "device" and other similar words, but found it VERY quickly.

NEW  November 2006[/size][/font]

We've remedied this by doing it for you:  see: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=3096.0
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Susan Ray

Jeff,
I added hinges that will separate tto lift off lid and  a (hand carved) piece of u-shaped teak on a screw with two washers. Just swing the u over the lid edge to hold it up. I hope pictures help.
Aloha, Susan on "Stray" in the Ala Wai Harbor, Honolulu Hawaii

Jim Price

Susan, I like your removeable hing idea and "holder" but I was more intrigued by the partial photo of the light you have above on the bulkhead.  Is it a 12V or 110AC?  And what can you tell us about it; brand, source, price.  I like the idea of a light above the galley area and this looks like another option.  :thumb:
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Susan Ray

Jim.the light is an half-round bulkhead mount that I mounted on wall, from West #1855832. I have another on oppisite wall over stove.(see photo) Port Supply price about $45.00.I had a fluorescent, which makes you look green!.

Jim Price

Thanks for the photo and info.  This looks exactly like what I had in mind to get light to that area.  Know what you mean about green - I currently have TWO flowresent lights under cabinate and they aren't worth crap!   

I am also amazed that one that can do photos and messages almost real time.  Must mean you are actually near your boat!  How Nice !!   :clap
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Susan Ray

Very near...I live on Allegro. Have lived aboard several boats for the past 15 years and don't ever want to move ashore. Lucky I live Hawaii.

Ron Hill

If you do hinges -- do what Susan did and install hinges that come apart.  There are times that you'll want to completely remove the lid!! 
For the 1986 thru 1988 boats, a simple cup hook in the wood under the slider will catch the lifting eye on the lid and keep the lid open.   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Juul

I have hinges with springs on the Pins.  Available at WM.  Use the cup hook idea to hold the lid up.  Very easy to remove the lid when necessary.  Mark Elkin has pictures he will post in projects when he has time.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Marshall Tonner

Susan, what was your source for the hinges?
                              Marsh
Holland Marsh    Hull #899   Cormarant II

Ron Hill

Marsh : Look in ANY marine catalog.  You'll find  pull-a-part, pins that have springs and these come in chrome plated brass, nylon or stainless steel.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Susan Ray

My Brother gave them to me for "boat warming" gift but you can get them at West #2664431 for left side and #2664480 for right. Aloha, Susan

Jeff_McKinney

Thanks to all for the assistance. I went with the "pull-apart style" hinges & the cup-hook for now.
Jeff McKinney,  Event Horizon;  Upper Chesapeake Bay

Joe Kern

Jeff - Any pictures?  Since you have a new MKII I wanted to see how you did it.  My wife hates having to lift the icebox cover and I am sick of leaving it in the sink when we leave the boat after the weekend.

Joe
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl