Keel Repair

Previous topic - Next topic

La Luna

I recently pulled La Luna to show her to new owners when we discovered a 1/4 inch gap at the front of the keel.  A surveryor suggested we get a professional yard involved and they found the boat had been hit a few times in the keel. The repairer did a cover up job and the keel has been hanging improperly for about 10 years.  Now the keel is off and they have found stress fractures around the base of the grid and some delamination around the front of the first keel bolt. My surveryor did not see this nor did the surveryor of the previous owner who had the boat for 7 years. 

Big repair, not covered by insurance. Any advice on the strength of the grid and just how much I should be looking to add to strengthen the area.  Even some contacts at catalina might be useful.  So far, the price is 10K.  I will of course have to fix it right as I will not pass a problem on to a new owner.  :cry4`

I passed on the previous emails about keeping the boat to my wife.  She is open to the idea but concerned about any future problems.  My view is the boat will be stronger after the repair than it ever was.  Has anyone out there had a bad grounding?  What was your experience with the repair.  In 30 Yrs of sailing, I have not damaged a boat like this one has seen.  The rest of the boat is very sound including a rebuilt deisel and new interor and plumbing.  The boat was at one time in charter (not known to me prior to purchase) so they revamped it prior to selling to the previous owner.   :shock:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Dan Kuhn
La Luna

Ron Hill

Dan : I strongly recommend that you call Gerry Douglas at Catalina ASAP (818)884-7700  x-235.  If you have a digital camera get some pictures and send them if he asks. 
I wouldn't act on ANYONES advice except his in this matter.  He was the guy that designed the boat so he's the expert on how it should be fixed.  It may take a day, but he will answer telephone calls!  Good Luck  :wink:
Ron, Apache #788