Westerbeke Engine Service Bulletin

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Hill

INSPECTION ALERT!!!
If you have a Universal M25XPB, M25XPBC, M35B, M35BC or M40 you might want to check this months (Feb. 2006) Mainsheet tech Notes.  Look on page T2 and you'll find the 9 Dec2005 bulletin with the complete inspection instructions and diagrams.

If you don't receive the Mainsheet contact Stu Jackson at mraquaq@aol.com and join our C34 International Association.  The dues are minimal for the info gained.  When you join you'll get a CD with all of the past C34 Tech Notes thru March 2001 & a password to open the complete on line Tech Notes thru 2005.

A lot of great information in those Tech notes beside this service bulletin.   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

dave davis

:clap Thank you Ron Hill for pointing out the Service Bulletin alert on the C34 FILTER BRACKET. I might have missed it if you did not point it out. The bulletin explains how to examine the bracket and how to get a replacement to avoid future possable breakage. It pays to be a member of the C34IA. Contack Stu Jackson at the Email in the previous post. Become a member and recieve the Mainsheet :shock:
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach

Roc

Checked my filter bracket this past weekend, and mine had the knife edge and was almost totally cracked through!!  Called Westerbeke and they gave me the number of the east coast distributer, Hansen Marine.  Called them and will be getting a replacement bracket.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Stu Jackson

Roc and others who need a new bracket:

I recommend starting NOW to use PB Blaster on the bolts.  That way, when you have to remove the old one, you will have a head start on the bolts.

Also, this is yet another example of our repeated recommendation for ALL of you to read the ENTIRE Mainsheet magazine, including information about boats that are similar to ours (C30, C36, C38 - not 380 - etc.)
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Roc

Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Phil Spicer

Blaster is a penetrating oil. Put it on & let it work. Usually if Blaster doesn't work, the next step is the hack saw, nut buster, or torch. But I don't like the torch anywhere near the fuel system or fuel lines. I use it all the time on my car....a 63. Only had one bumper bolt I couldn't bet out.
Phil
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Stu Jackson

PB Blaster should be available at any hardware store.  It's in a white can, yellow top, it's spray on stuff.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Ron Hill

Guys : Keep a can of Liquid Wrench or Blaster onboard.  There are many times that penetrating oil is needed to remove nuts or bolts.  Usually best if put on and let it sit overnight.   :clap
Ron, Apache #788

skip

Michael & Helene Scipione - Virtual Reality 840
Lincroft, New Jersey

Stu Jackson

Bulletins are available for each individual Universal engine at www.westerbeke.com, go to Universal engines, bulletins left side index, service bulletins.  http://www.westerbeke.com/Products/productdetailLanding.aspx?id=8

Interestingly enough, Westerbeke/Universal has a bulletin for removing the fuel screen pickup, one of our "Critical Upgrades" that has been mentioned for the past 22 years by C34 and other Catalina owner's Associations.

KWKloeber

Bulletins are available for each individual Universal engine at www.westerbeke.com, go to Universal engines, bulletins left side index, service bulletins.  http://www.westerbeke.com/Products/productdetailLanding.aspx?id=8

Note that the SBs are also posted on the wiki as a text searchable PDF:
https://c34.org/nonWPWik/?title=Manuals#ENGINE_MANUALS

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain