New Mainsail

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob K

Hello to all – I am new to this group.  We purchased a 1992 C34 last year (Tall rig / Wing keel), and are proceeding down our "to do" list for the boat.  We are considering a new mainsail, as the old one (original, full batten) doesn't have much shape left to it.  I have gotten quotes back from a number of sailmakers, and the prices vary widely.  Granted, the options differ among them, but the price variation seems a bit much.  To those out there who have replaced their mainsails in the last year or two, could you please tell me who made your sail, and if you are happy with the construction, performance, and service of the loft?   Was the price right?  We sail the Chesapeake Bay, and we are only an hour from Annapolis, where most of the major sailmakers have lofts, so I will likely visit a few prior to purchase to see examples of their work.  We do not race, but we certainly don't like to go slow! Comments on loose footed mains are solicited also.   
Thanks
Bob K
Prosit
1992 #1186
Northern Chesapeake Bay

dgill

Regarding a new mainsail I have one being delivered in March.  The sailmaker is Neil Pryde Sails.  I found the construction/options/service and salesman to be very good.  This sail will be loose footed.

My dockmate, who has an 89 Catalina ordered his new sails from Scott Sails and stated that he is very happy with them.  One thought for you is that if you can wait until the fall boat show, you may find that you will get a nice price.  Even if you order it now you most likely would not have your new sail until the end of the season anyway.  I also priced through North, UK and Quantum - the lofts that make sails for most of the rock star racers.  Their prices reflect the genre they deal with.   :thumb:
First Point of Aries
1987 - Hull # 389
located on Lake Ogleton, Annapolis, Md

Jeff Kaplan

bob, there was a recent post on this topic with much advice. i bought #219,tall rig, end of '04 season. mail sail was original, in good shape, but coming to its end.and i knew it must be replaced.  i went to doyle sails in marblehead,ma.in oct.of '04. used them in past on my old c27, great work. they have all the specs for catalina. just tell them wether it is a std. or tall rig, and whether you are a racer or a cruiser, i am the latter.  the sail was made out of 7.46 oz. dacron, 2-top full battens, 2- bottom regular battens, 2 sets of reefs.,leech line, telltails and sail bag. also had them put on c34 insignia and my #'s. if you can wait till fall,as last post stated, you will save. the cost of the new main was $2300- but fall discount brought it down to $1900-. worth every penny. what a difference a new sail makes. there must be a doyle loft in your area. we have  all the lofts up here, but i choose to stick with doyle. good luck...jeff kaplan
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Ron Hill

Bob : What you need to do is write up a spec. sheet that lists all of your requirements that YOU want in a mainsail.  Things like full batten, sewn in sail slugs, type of material, weight of material, loose foot, type cut, number of reef points, tell tales, boat insignia, hull numbers, etc.  Then send these specs to 5 different sail makers (you're in the Sailing Capitol of the World!) in your area and get their bids back. 
If you wait till mid March to do this - I'll guess that you'll be too late for this season!  If you decide to wait till next season the boat show is a good time to get started - just as Danise said. 
A few thoughts.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Bob K

Thanks for the comments all.   I took the sail to a loft, and they immediately saw that the luff rope was shrunk by about a foot, and this prevented the sail from raising fully.  That was why the sail could not be flattened properly. Also explains the sagging boom!   So they will repair the sail, and I'll try it for another season.  If anybody is searching for why their boom sags, check this out. 
Bob K
Prosit
1992 #1186
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ron Hill

Bob : The shrinking "luff bolt rope" is a common problem that been written up for mainsails that have been cleaned or sent to Sail Care.   :cry4`
Ron, Apache #788

Bob K

Bingo! - this sail was sent to SailCare by the previous owner
Bob K
Prosit
1992 #1186
Northern Chesapeake Bay