Bow Roller

Previous topic - Next topic

BillG

ordered them from defender on Saturday, they are not listed in the catalog, but can be found on their website, look in the listings for schaefer cleats, it's model 60-200  and they arrived today. 
Bill
Rock Hall, MD

Ron Hill

The Schaefer Stainless 8 " cleats w/studs are listed in the 2006 Defender Catalog on page 168.   :appl
Ron, Apache #788

Jim Moore

Ron---Could you please send me the picture group of the anchor well/bow roller arrangement you have.  I was always hesitant about mounting an anchor up front because of the swing when raising.  From what I have been reading though, this is really a non issue.  Any  other valuable insights to this would be appreciated.  As always, thanks for your valuable input.  Jim Moore
email addy is  1jhmoore@charter.net
1988 #729
std rig/fin
Life is good and I enjoy being a participant in it

Ron Hill

Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Ron's original bow roller article is in the May 1995 Tech Notes, Online for C34 IA members, another benefit of joining the Association.

Start here: http://www.c34.org/tech-notes-index/tech-notes-index-1995.htm

Members can access the PDF article.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jim Moore

Ron and others
I hope you don't mind me requesting more information about anchoring. I have my boat located in the Midwest in Illinois and the lake bottom is primarily all mud. All of my years here and others sailors experiences in this area have been the use of the Danforth style anchors. These anchors are time tested and proven to work well in this area. Seems no one wants to buck tradition, so to speak. Purchasing a Bruce or Delta style anchor would be kind of out of the question since I have acquired quite an array of fluke style Danforth anchors in various weights over the years. The Danforth I presently use is the 35H weighing in at 35 lbs. The question is this. The CR-1 anchor roller advertisement in the Defender catalog states it will handle a fluke style up to 28 lbs. I would like to use this style bow roller because of it's narrow design obviously. Due to the extra weight placed on the roller, do you think it will be a factor in it's application? Or, do you think there is room for the roller model number CRM-1 item number 000968 in Defender catalog? All is not lost though, since I do own a 20H anchor from Danforth also. This would satisfy the weight limit for the CR-1, but for peace of mind at night I would like to use the heavier of the two. Thanks again everyone for any help   Jim Moore   1jhmoore@charter.net
1988 #729
std rig/fin
Life is good and I enjoy being a participant in it

Ron Hill

Jim : Answered you separately. 
If you're happy with your Danforths - don't change.  OUT! 
Ron, Apache #788

Randy Stolze

Bill and Jerry,

I have elected this upgrade as my must- do for this Spring. Can you tell me what you used to cut the existing bow roller? Did you cut it while bolted down in place / headstay still connected?

Thanks

Randy

1987 #396
Randy

Ron Hill

Randy : If you will read the article I wrote in the May 1995 Mainsheet it will tell you how I cut it and how I did the job. There's even a picture.
The boat part was cut off in place and the contour part was cut off in a vice at home.  No the head stay was not removed.  The info is there, but YOU must read it.   :cry`
Ron, Apache #788

Randy Stolze

Thanks Ron,

You da man !!!!     
Randy

BillG

like Ron, I used an electric grinder and be sure to use full face protection.
Bill
Rock Hall, MD