Bow cleats

Previous topic - Next topic

Howard Armstrong

No. i left the cleats inplace. i use them at the dock. i only use the large center one for anchoring. this way i dont worry about chafing either way. Works for me.

Ron Hill

Jerry : Look at my bow roller in projects and you'll see that I contoured the inside of the bow roller so the center cleat is still usable.  I use the center cleat to secure the 1/2" braid on braid anchor rode. 
You'll have to make a decision on how you'll attach to your mooring:
1.  I made a 5/8" single line that loops over that center cleat, goes thru the bow roller next to the Bruce and extends out about a foot and then attachés to a mooring pennant.
2.  Make a bridal out of 5/8" line that attachés to the cleat on one side and the cleat on the other side.  It should clear the anchor in the roller and then attach to the mooring.
A few thoughts.    :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

jpaulroberts

Ron, I have two mooring penants that make up my bridle. Right now they come up over the two stock rollers and onto the center cleat. Once I put the two new cleats on, they will just drop over each cleat and be secured with a small line over the cleats. I never thought that once I pit the CR-1 roller mount on that I would still use the center cleat for anchoring. I thought I would run the line back to the new starboard cleat. I'm going out to me boat today and I'll have a look. Jerry

Stu Jackson

Jerry, you wrote: "Once this [the new bow roller] is mounted it seems center bow cleat will be useless. It will now be too far forward and I will be using the twin cleats for both mooring and anchoring."

It just occurred to me that once the anchor is down, the eisting enter cleat will still be useful, even if you have the new bow roller.  The line comes straight back from both the old and new rollers, so why turn it to go to the newer side cleats?

This post is somewhat associated with the Bow Rollers post at: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=2716.0
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."