Heaving

Previous topic - Next topic

rpoe959190

Has anybody any info on heaving to with a c-34? I tried with the genny and it didnt work. Do you use just the main? Or just a reefed main?
thx
rich :confused:

amoreau

If I remember correctly,,if the wind is over my port rail, I had no sails up and my wheel was hard over to stbd.  She just about stood still in one spot for as long as the wind stayed the same.
Al & Candy Moreau  (Dun Wish'n) 1488 Borden light Marina

dpenz

Let's see, you luff the main, back the genoa and turn the wheel to weather.  The wind tries to push the head off, but if the boat obtains any headway it rounds back up to the wind.  So it will not stay still, but rather "hobby-horses" with a little leeway.  Worked for me recently in wind <10 knots.

bjmansfield

we heave to fairly regularly.  usually roll in the jib to about a 110 to keep off the shrouds as much as possible.
while close hauled, just tack as you normally would but dont let the leward jib sheet go.  as the jib backwinds and the bow comes through the wind, put the helm a lee and that's it.

[This message was edited by Jack Mansfield # 1169 on October 01, 2001 at 03:10 PM.]