Anchors & TEST Results of New Generation Anchors EXCELLENT & Important

Previous topic - Next topic

tonywright

Another dimension to double check is LOA. For a Catalina 34 it is actually 35'8": a lot closer to 36' than 34'.  (length of the hull is 34'6", the pulpit accounts for the extra).

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Bill Asbury

Thinking about getting a 35# Rocna or Manson.  Please pardon by ignorance but I'm wondering if the half circle 'rollbar' is there to help balance the anchor so it lands on the seabed in the upright position.  Thinking it must be functional, because otherwise I'm not impressed with how it looks.
Thanks,
Bill
Bill & Penne
Sanderling 2005 C34MKII 1686
Chesapeake Bay

Michael Shaner

You're absolutely right Bill. Should the anchor land upside down on the bottom, it rolls right over...

Actually, on the Manson website, they claim this to to be a "green" feature as well. They profess that the reusult is less damage to the sea bed as the anchor is being set...the "green world" has trickled all the way to ground tackle...who would-a-thunk it?
Michael & Alison Shaner

Bill Asbury

Thanks, Mike, sounds good and in synch with others on this board who swear by these 'new age' hooks.  My wife is the family environmentalist, so she'll be impressed, too...:-)
Bill & Penne
Chesapeake Bay

mainesail

Thought you guys might be interested in these videos.. :D

CQR vs. Rocna - Hard Sand Setting
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmGAckf69pE

Rocna - Flip Flop & Dig (short but you get the idea)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsDRQHbpv-M

-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

Bill Asbury

Thanks for the videos, Maine.  Good demo of effectiveness of Rocna/Manson hooks.
Bill & Penne
Chesapeake Bay

Lance Jones

After reading all of this thread, I've come to the conclusion that my 5 lb mushroom anchor is not big enough. :cry4`
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Kent & Jane Overbeck

Here is a replay of my previous post.  I haven't changed my mind. 

We have just completed the "Great Loop".  It took 13 months and covered around 6500 miles.  Before we left on the trip I was going to buy a new anchor.  The problem was just what it was going to be.  I will not rehash all of the anchor discussion on the forum as it is readily available but just report on what we did.  I liked the Rocna but was concerned about quality.  Shortly before our trip Rocna changed their warranty to cover not just breakage but included bending if the anchor was sized to their recommendations.  That swayed me over.  I purchased a Rocna 15 (33#).  My rode is 50 ' of 5/16 G-4 chain and 250' of 5/8" 8 strand plaited nylon.  I got 250' so I could go back and drop a stern anchor if needed.
We anchored many times in a great variety of conditions and bottoms.  We had hard sand, soft sand, soft and hard mud, clay, grass and some weeds and at times a gravel mix of the above.  We had 6-8' tidal ranges along with the current and reverses that come with the tides, and sustained winds of over 60 MPH three times, conditions that can be very challenging when anchoring.  We never used a second anchor, not even when in strong current reverses.  The Rocna set first time, every time, very quickly and we never moved after that.  There was no problem when we had a wind or current shift as it seemed to reset immediately.  The biggest problem was getting all the mud etc. off.  I was evident the entire anchor was buried as the roll bar was covered.  :clap
I guess it's obvious that I like the anchor.  That being said, I also have a 33# original Bruce that has given good service. I also have a 22# Delta fast set and a Fortress FX 11 that I have used on my Seaward 26 very satisfactorily.  I was in the company of a great variety of boats with various anchors and rarely saw anyone have serious problems they couldn't resolve.
I know there is more than one good new style anchor, but right now, after this trip, I'm a Rocna fan.
I also want to report that the 8 strand plaited rode was awesome.  It fell easily into the locker with no coiling or twisting and was very easy to handle.  Well worth the extra cost.