Oil Pressure Indicator and Tachonmeter/Hour Meter

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Woo

I am embarrassed to ask this question:  I have a 1986 Catalina 34 Hull # 165 which I purchased in May this year.  I have read other messages about oil pressure but have been unable to find either a light or gauge indicating oil pressure.  My instrument cluster on the port side of the cockpit consists of 3 gauges: a tachometer/hour meter, fuel gauge and ammeter.  

The tachometer seems to be working ok but when the engine is shut off, it indicates 800 RPM.  The hourmeter has only budged two hours since I acquired the boat and we have used the engine for probably 50-60 hours.  I took the instrument cluster off its mounting but could see nothing obviously wrong with the hourmeter.  Any suggestions? :rolleyes:

Rodney

I also had a problem when I first got my boat with the Tach meter reading high after engine shut off. Turned out (duh), that I was shutting off the key before operating the plunger to kill the engine - thus shutting down the engine electrics before the engine - and tach - came to rest. I now operate the plunger first and my tach now rests comfortably at 0.

Also when I bought my boat, my hour meter was just plain broke. After briefly considering the resale benefits to my boat of having an hour meter that never changes, I decided to have it replaced. You may just have to bite the bullet also...

msenko

My hour meter was also not working properly. I noticed this when I bought the boat, and I talked to the origional owners about it, reassuring myself there wasn't a huge amount of hours on the motor that were not accounted for.

I investigated buying a replacement tach, but that looked like it was going to be expensive. I purchased a single hour meter and a bracket and mounted it in the aft lazarette.

Funny thing, just after doing so, I noticed the hour meter seemed to be working. Then all of a sudden it stopped again. I suspect something is wrong with it internally, so I am glad I went ahead and installed a reliable replacement.

As far as the tach goes, mine does not stop at 0 rpms and I always shut the engine down with the fuel shut off before turning the key on.

almkinfl

I also suffered this problem immediately after purchase. The hour meter just stopped. I accessed the backs of the guages and cleaned all the contacts with Contact Cleaner (Radio Shack) as suggested by a salty friend of mine. This repair worked so I cleaned all the contacts at the Nav station and engine room as well. This was an easy and inexpensive repair that is worth trying before buying new guages.
Al A (#980)