Attaching Sail Slides

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Johnson

I noticed last weekend that the last sail slide (slug) at the head of my main was broken.  All other slides are attached using plastic shackles, but this one was attached using a piece of 1/2 inch webbing which was stitched in several places.  I'm thinking the new slide should be attached the same way, but I'm not sure how the webbing was stitched together.  When cutting the old stitching it looked like each wrap of the webbing was stitched back on itself.  Does anyone know of directions of how to do this?
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Jim Price

I am no expert but I will try to share what I did in the same situation.  My sail has nylon slides (steel slide at headboard) at all points attached to the grommets with webbing.

Using the unbroken slides as a guide and using new 1/2 " tube webbing I got from a local loft I attached new slides and made up spares for future quick repairs.  My process:

I first used a hot glue gun on end of webbing to prevent unraveling.  I looped the webbing through the sail slide and again hot glue tacked the end of the webbing to itself at a point almost touching the bolt rope in the luff.  I then stitched the end with sail thread leaving a long thread (and needle) hanging loose.  The free end of the webbing is then passed through the sail luff grommet, back though the sail slide, back through the grommet, and a final turn through the slide (there might actually be another series so you have three layers instead of two through the grommet, but I am no where near the boat to check).  This places the free end of the webbing opposite the first end that is now buried in the center of the loops.  I then stitched / whipped the webbing with a series of loops going from top to bottom through the center alternating around the outsides to form a secure tight whip between the slide and the bolt rope.  Cut the extra outside webbing end, seal the end with hot glue gun, and you are ready to roll.

I learned by doing one slide that broke and a month later I had a "Zipper" occur in heavy wind when about 8 slides broke leaving only the headboard and a few at the bottom attached.  That is when I replaced all the old ones and made a few spares (cut webbing, seal end, make first loop though slide, tack end and stitch to hold).  That happend three years ago and no problems since.

Long answer and I am sure others may have simpler solution but it ain't hard to sew them back on, just need strong fingers, tight whipping stitches, and tight fit.

Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Rick Johnson

Jim,

Thanks!  I think I followed that and I will certainly give it a try this weekend.  I'm sure it would be clear in a picture and maybe I can post one of my efforts and you can tell me if I went wrong.

Cheers,

Rick
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX