Door finger latch replacment

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Price

I am looking for parts / alternative parts supply for a "finger latch" on one of my access doors.  These are the latches that you have the hole in the door and you place your finger inside to release.  It seems the little spring is broken and the latch will not set.  I did quick search in board and did not find any hits on subject.

Does any one have a solution  / location for replacements.  I assume you can get from hardware supplier but not sure how to narrow down choice / description.  I have not called Catalina - looking for quicker solution.

Latches are MkI series - 1991.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Rick Johnson

I bought a pair of brass replacements at the jewlery store (WestMarine) for about $7.  Seems a little high but they fit.  The catch piece is only one screw instead of two, so a new hole will need to be drilled in the teak frame.  Cheers
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Stu Jackson

Jim

Try H&L Marine - 213-636-1718

They made the cabinets.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jim Price

Thanks for feedback.  It help me find parts at several places and prices.  Helps to know they are called "elbow catches".  For nylon versions, I have found prices from $0.95 to $7.95 (bet you can't guess who sells at highest price - WM).

Have not called H&L Marine yet.

Will post more about source and quality after I determine size and place order next week.   :clap
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

David Sanner

Here's one of the cheaper ($3.42) sources I've found for them:
http://www.shipstore.com/SS/HTML/PKO/PKO1021DP0BLK.html

$0.95 ... I could use a few at that price.

David Sanner, #611 1988, "Queimada" San Francisco Bay

Ron Hill

Jim : Years ago I bought a box of assorted springs.  I just cut off a premeasured length of 1/8" coil brass spring and replace the old broken one.  It just slides into the slot where the old one was.
I found that to be much easier fixing the old one rather than trying to get a new latch that has different screw holes. You might also consider taking the spring out of a new latch and put in in the old latch.    A thought   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788