Reefing the main

Previous topic - Next topic

John Langford

Has anyone else noticed that when you put in the first reef in the main there is considerable stress on the sailcloth and the second slug? The reefing line forward wants to pull the sailcloth all the way down to the boom but the track stop on the mast does not let the first and second slugs come down to the boom.  The first slug is loosely connected to the sail by a line running along the luff of the sail but the second slug is more tightly fastened with sail webbing. Would extending the line arrangement to the second slug make a difference? If this has been an issue for others, has anyone come up with a solution?
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

SteveLyle

I remove the track stop before reefing, so that both lugs go all the way down to the boom.  It's a pain to take it out and put it back, but c'est la vie.

One of the to-do's on my list is to replace the track stop with track retainers - stainless steel guides that would bolt to the aft face of the mast at the lug opening on the track, keeping the lugs in the groove while letting them travel down to the boom.

Steve

Jim Price

Steve, I have recently noticed the same issue when I upgraded my first reefing point to a single line system.  I did not realize the stress on the second slug until I was checking out all my changes.  I don't really understand how it has lasted this long - other than I had not reefed much in last couple of years.

Can you give a little more detail  / vendor, etc on what you are talking about.  I would rather not be messing with the track stopper as the reason I put in the single line system was so I could shake out a reef easily in addition to putting one in.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Ted Pounds

One way to solve the problem is to put a block at the reef tack and run the reefing line up and down on the same side rather than through the tack grommet.  I think that's the way Ron rigged his.  By pulling down on just one side you eliminate the stress on the slides.  A block also has the advantage of reducing friction.  I don't have this issue because I bring my tack down to a reefing hook at the gooseneck which also only pulls the luff from one side.  I did have that problem on my old C25 and solved it  by leaving the bottom slide out of the track all the time.  However, I think the block and pulling from one side is a better solution.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

SteveLyle

Jim,

CatalinaDirect calls these things a 'sail track gate' - see their site at http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1013.

I've never seen a ready made product for sale for our masts, so my plan has been to draw up some plans, take them to a fabricator, and have them made.

Steve

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Guys : I believe that the smarter sail makers have placed the sail slides so it can be reefed with out having to let those slides below the screw-in stop.
I've redone my reefing.  I have a "pig tail" at the goose neck.  Lower the main and attach the desired reef cringle on the luff into the pigtail and then retention the halyard. The reef line then pulls down the leach cringle to the boom and we're ready to go.   Ron
Ron, Apache #788

Tom Soko

John,
Another alternative is to install an eyestrap and bullseye fairlead on the mast.  This enables the reefing line to pull the sail down and forward, taking tension off the sail slide.  After a sail ripped with the factory reefing setup I had to come up with something.  This has worked well for several years.  Pictures #100 & 101 at:  http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=4288188659&code=13911531&mode=invite&DCMP=isc-email-AlbumInvite
Tom Soko
"Juniper" C400 #307
Noank, CT