source for chainplate replacements

Previous topic - Next topic

Susan Ray

I am going to pull and check the chainplates on my 1987 as there is a small crack in one.They are not listed here under parts and I could find no reference in notes. Anyone know of a source for replacements or do I need to have them made? Thank you
Aloha, Susan on "Stray" in the Ala Wai Harbor, Honolulu Hawaii

Ron Hill

Susan : Call Catalina Parts.  If they don't have them on hand they can make them up. 
First - Think I'd take them for a "Dye" check or try a poor mans dye - iodine.  You'll can then confirm a crack from a scratch.   :think
Ron, Apache #788

Susan Ray

Thanks Ron, I will do the iodine test.... Has anyone with an '87 or older had to change chainplates? From what I have read here no one seems concerned with the age of the plates. As I lost a mast from chainplate failure on a Catalina 30' (rusted  through where it went through the deck), I am (a bit) paranoid about them.

David Urscheler

I replaced all my chainplates on Sea Dancer (1991- #1116) in 2003 after discovering a crack in one when re-rigging. Ordered from Catalina and they were a perfect fit. You need to have a little patience with the parts dept. As Ron has mentioned, they respond best to numerous phone calls.

Susan Ray

Thanks David.. Plan to pull and check all. I will do the test (iodine) and if necessary call Catalina. Did you do the replacement yourself ? following the info here?  Did you see the plates after they were pulled? Were they all equally damaged or was the one an exception? (Just hope it was and I will only have to replace the one). Was the crack above deck? I am more worried about the stainless corroding inside the deck as the plates are and have been leaking below decks for who knows how long... I just purchased her in Sept/05 and the rigging is all new.

David Urscheler

Susan:
Just one chainplate had a hairline crack below deck, but the others showed some pretty deep corrosion. On the advise of my rigger (Who did the replacement), I decided to replace all. The initial pre-purchase survey picked up some moisture around the chainplates, most likely from deteriorated bedding, so I wasn't suprised to see corrosion. Like you, I had a rigging failure many years ago on a previous boat and wanted to err on the side of caution. We pulled the chainplates and let the deck dry for about a week before replacing.

Susan Ray

all that worry for (almost) nothing! The welder/rigger/friend, pulled all the chainplates last week, two at a time, and the supposed crack I saw was just the end of a weld. The PO must have replaced them at one time as they were in excellent condition. They were rebedded with polysulfide 3M #101. The old silicone seemed to be just laying next to the plates and stuck only to the sides of the opening. It has been raining this week and no leaks now. The drying time on #101 is 2-3 weeks befor testing at sea.
Susan