Rub rail stainless holder

Previous topic - Next topic

westcoaster1358

I want to replace the rub rail and the stailess steel holder.... where do I get the holder?  Has anyone put a rub rail on the edge of the transom???

I have my boat the Coaster in San Diego

I have a 1997 34  Hull # 1358

Thanks,

John

Stu Jackson

John

I recommend an "Advanced Search" on "rub rail."  Click on Advanced Search at the top of the message board, then use "match all words" NOT "match any words."  I believe you will find the resources to describe where to obtain your material from earlier posts that will come up from that search.  I do not know of anyone who has added rub rail material at the edge of the transom.  We have a Mark I boat, so do not have that issue.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

John : The only place that I know to get the metal holder is the Catalina factory.  I believe that the metal holder is an Aluminum alloy.

The transom is sloped and I don't know of anyone that has modified it for a rub-rail.  There are some other sailboats with a rub rail around the entire outside edge like the Hunter and some of the French boats - always envy ed them.  Look at theirs and see if it will fit.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Ron raises a very good solution.  The standard Catalina rub rail may not be appropriate for the stern lines on your Mark II.  It could look "heavy" and out of place.  You may want to investigate the material used by other manufacturers, like the white transom line used by Hunter.  The white wouldn't be as "obvious" and would maintain the "lines" of the boat.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mike Denest

After undocking our boat from a pump out, winds and tides pushed the boat's port side back into the dock, not realizing that the bounce also took out a section of rub rail! :x  On our previous outing yesterday, docking was quite an event, taking several passes to get the boat into the slip during which we managed to stretch the rub rail on the starboard side. :nail  :cry:  I searched back through the postings and found this thread so maybe I'm updating it for everyones' benefit.  Anyway, I went to the Catalina Direct website and found this:  http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=1339 

I searched through the West Marine catalog and did not find a similar molding used on Catalina's and was wondering if there is another source for the rub rail.  I don't think I want to order the 85' length from CD and cut it for the section to be replaced, if I did, I would do the entire length and would probably be better off for it.  I'm considering that as a project to be done on the hard but for now I need maybe 15' or so to replace the missing section.  BTW, this same missing section was previously done by a PO.  I haven't checked with the factory as yet but will also check the other suppliers as well.  If anyone has already been through this, holler up!

Michael and Diane Denest
Whisper #680
1988 Tall Rig Wing Keel
Rock Hall, MD

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Mike, The vinyl rub rail is available ftom the Catalina factory by the foot at $1.88 per ft in either Tan or Grey.

Tan PN 24007
Grey PN 20837

Just call their main number 818-884-7700 and ask or the parts dept.
Chris is usually the person I work with and is very helpful.

If you need the track, you'll have to ask them as I haven't needed to research that.

Good Luck (us Mike's have to stick together)   :D

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Mike Denest

Thanks for the quick reply Mike, I'll call the factory on Monday.  I'll have to inspect the track to see if there is any damage; hope I don't have to replace that as well!
Michael and Diane Denest
Whisper #680
1988 Tall Rig Wing Keel
Rock Hall, MD