Getting Salon Table Down

Previous topic - Next topic

John Cotterill

Hi

Maybe a silly question but I cant get the salon table to the down position.

I have undone the knurled locking screw but everything else seem tight and the table will not release.

can anyone help.

John C (Australia 1993 C34 1257)
John Cotterill
Catalina 34 Mark 1 Number 1257
"Catatonic"
Located : Lake Macquarie, Newcastle, Australia

willie

Well I am in the same boat :cry4`

I have a 2005 c34 what I have discovered is it will go done but, you must grab each side of the table exactly centered on the post. If you are off just a little you will have no luck, even then it is difficult.

I removed the table and by push directly on the post it goes down easy. What is happening is the post is binding in the cylinder.

It is a terrible design at best. Whats funny is your boat is 12 years older and no improvement has been made?

Willie

Ed Shankle

Don't take this the wrong way; just sit on it!
I can usually push it down by leaning over the middle of the table, but sitting on it aways does the job.

Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Gary Ambrose

Hi Ed,

Please don't take this the wrong way either.  Is there any corolation between your salon table technique and boat name?

r_bond

John,

Once you loosen the big knob on the pedestal, just press down REALLY HARD in the middle of the table - directly above the post.  The table will go down, but the spring inside the pedestal is a bit stiff.  My boat is a '93 - hull # 1261.  We should swap emails and notes - since our boats are so close in sequence! 

Rusty
1993 C34
Hull # 1261
Wing Keel, Std. Rig

David Comando

Cruising with children is always a challenge. We have an important job for my youngest daughter. She sits on the table after we loosten the knob, and stays there till I can tighten it. Now if I can solve the wobble in the table while upright I'd be all set.
Dave
Kindred Spirit #55
David Comando, 1987 Kindred Spirit, Hull# 55 sailing the waters of Eastern Long Island, and to other points in the Northeast.

Jeff Kaplan

i stopped the wobble in my table by  just tapping in a few shims between the post and table top housing.i used short pieces of nylon wire ties for the shims. worked fine all last season,and can be done easily without removing the table top, which,btw, i removed and replaced with a 32"x 22" top, trimmed with teak.i  can now get into back seat and ports with no problem.  just an idea.good luck...jeff kaplan
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Rick Johnson

Jeff - I was just thinking about replacing my tabletop with one in a smaller size.  How has that size worked for you and do you have any suggestions on construction?  Perhaps a picture?
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Jeff Kaplan

rick, that size is perfect for my 1986 mk1. total access all around. the boat is covered for the winter so no picture, but, i got a piece of 4'x30" double sided white laminate particle board from home depot for less than $15. had it cut to size right there. went to west marine and got 4 outside round teak corners and 2, 5' pieces of straight teak molding for the sides. put the corner pieces on the new table top and trace the molding to round the edges, i just used a sabersaw to make the cuts, no problem, just cut slow. the new teak will cover any chipping done to the particle board. measure the distance between the new corners and cut the straight pieces of teak to fit all sides. i gorilla glued all pieces in place, being careful to remove any glue that foamed out. finish teak with poly. looks fantastic  and still can get 4 people around. i stored the old top in my garage because the chances of sleeping 7 on board are slim to none. everything is so easily accessible now, ports, storage, and seating. it also makes the cabin look bigger. my crew and guests were very impressed when they saw it last spring. any questions you can e-mail me or call. good luck. jeff

Stu Jackson

There have been many discussions about the table mods over the years.

In fact, Dave Commando's boat #55 Kindred Spirit's PO was one of the first to post!

Here are two appropriate links:

http://www.c34.org/projects/projects-table-modification.html 

http://www.c34.org/projects/kindred-spirit/coffee.html

These links go "through" this: http://www.c34.org/projects/projects.html

That's one of the technical resources I mentioned in my "Guide" post recently.  Very handy and useful information in the Projects and FAQ sections.

The "Guide" Post is:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=2629.0
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jeff Kaplan

rick, i found a pic of new salon table. hope it comes out

Rick Johnson

Jeff, that's perfect!   :clap  I'm headed to the hardware store tomorrow....
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

ross99

Re: Table Wobble ...   I recently had to replace the lens in my cabin-top hatch, and had a piece of new gasket material left over.  Instead of tossing it into the parts bin, I  "solved "  the table-wobble problem by fitting a piece of it between the table and the mast.  It barely shows, and  if I ever need to lower the table, it's removeable and replaceable.  Meanwhile, the table's firmly in place.

Jim Price

Unbelievable!!  I am embarrassed to say that after owning the boat for four years, I finally got the table post to compress,  :oops:  thanks to this string. 

In the past I had just removed the post from the tabel and sole when in the way.  Obviously, I could not collapse the thing when I had it out.  Since I had not used the settee for a berth, I did not ever explore that part.  Just assumed it was a stupid design with a knob that did nothing and the post was stuck forever.

And now after I proudly demonstrated how the settee becomes a berth, the Admiral tells me she would rather use the settee berth since she has always had a bit of claustrophobia.   :D

Sometimes we can't see our hand in front of our face.....   :sleepy:

Thanks guys, my boating life just got better.  :clap

Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA