Racor loss of prime

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray & Sandy Erps

My diesel furnace seems to be loosing its fuel prime lately.  Its fuel intake is plumbed into the Racor filter.  I think it's probably sucking air around the fuel primer plunger on the top of the Racor filter head.  I believe this because when the forced air furnace starts to sputter like it's starving for fuel, I gave the Racor primer a couple of pumps to build up a little pressure and this had two results.  The furnace continued to run for another few minutes and a little bit of fuel leaks around the primer plunger.

I figure if the primer leaks a little fuel while priming, it probably sucks a little air when the furnance lift pump is pulling fuel through the filter.  It looks like there may be remnants of an O-Ring around the plunger stem just under the primer plunger knob, but I can't be sure.  I googled Racor on the web to see if I could find an exploded parts diagram but didn't have any luck.  Anyone know if there is supposed to be some sort of an O-ring seal on the Racor Primer plunger?

P.S., not sure of the Racor model, but my recollection is that I use 24RS replacement elements (or something like that) and it has the clear plastic bowl and a replaceable element about the size of a standard automotive oil filter.
Ray & Sandy Erps,
'83, 41 Fraser "Nikko"
La Conner WA

Ron Hill

Ray : I had the plug on the Racor bowel disintegrate and called the Parker Corp. Racor) at 800-344-3286.  They sent me a couple of plugs - FREE. 
Give them a call and I'm sure they will help you out with a replacement "O" ring or what ever is needed to seal that air leak.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788