Gorilla Glue

Previous topic - Next topic

Footloose

Has anyone used Gorilla Glue for teak repairs?  I am looking for feed back either positive or negative.  I have used it for repairs on some tile in a shower and it has been holding for about a year without any signs of letting go. The stuff seems very stong.  My only concern is if the oil in teak or in the acetone used to get the oil level down would do something to the chemistry of the glue.
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

Ted Pounds

I use epoxy for teak repairs.  It's neater and, I think, easier to work with.  I used goriila glue to glue the platform for my starter battery to the hull.  I also used it for repairs to an old dingy I have, where I wasn't worried about how the finished product looked.  It bonds very well and is impervious to water,  but it expands and 'foams' slightly as it cures so I don't like it for joinery that I want to look nice.  Just my thoughts...
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ron Hill

I agree with Ted and would stick with epoxy for teak repair. 
Now that they have the 5 minute Epoxy you can clean off the break in the teak with acetone/lacquer thinner, mix the epoxy, complete the mending job and be sanding /refinishing it in a couple of hours.  Gorilla glue can't do that.   :clap
Ron, Apache #788

wilsonlb

Gorilla Glue did NOT work well for my teak repair (rebonding delaminated teak on the cabin sole) - it let loose pretty quickly despite having a well prepped surface and being clamped for almost a week.  Go with epoxy.

Ron Bukowski

I used Gorilla Glue to repair a split in the teak eyebrow on my boat. It had "sprung" a fraction of an inch, so I temp. screwed it in place until the glue set. The oozed glue was easily sanded fair and I am happy with the repair.
Ron Bukowski
North*Star
#1071 (1990)