Stowing stern anchor in stern locker

Previous topic - Next topic

Susan Ray

Aloha. I  have a 25# Danforth with 200' of rode and some chain, in a plastic carton shoved into the starboard side of the stern locker.It is right now crimping a bilge hose. I just got my boat and would like ideas on securing all the rode and chain in the locker, but at the ready. Anchor I will mount on the stern pulpit. There is an autohelm on port to steering quadrant in center. Nothing else is in there, including anything to attach anything to! Please send me your solutions or ideas.
Mahalo, Susan
Aloha, Susan on "Stray" in the Ala Wai Harbor, Honolulu Hawaii

Stu Jackson

Susan,

Good idea to have it ready to deploy.  There are Danforth rail mounts available, both in horizontal and vertical rail configurations.  Check any West Marine Catalog.  I relocated our Danforth holder from the bow to the stern.  Our primary anchor is a Bruce. You have a choice of whether to keep the chain connected or to simply hang the anchor on the stern mount and then have the shackle on the chain/rode in the locker ready to easily connect.

Storing chain is always fun if not in the anchor locker up forward.  The plastic carton actually is a reasonable idea since it lets air get around the chain.  A large bucket, like a painter's bucket also works well to hold the chain.  If you have chain and rode, the rode could be hung up, connected to the chain, on a simple hook inside the locker, with the bucket below.  Only other options appear to be building something in.  Seems if you can get the existing carton, or a bucket, to stay in place without crimping the bilge hose, you already have a good solution.

Picture shows Danforth on the mount ready to go on a recent trip.  We kept the anchor chain and rode  in a bucket on the cockpit floor for the few days we needed the aft anchor.  Normally the anchor and chain lives in the anchor locker up forward.  That's another option for you but not as neat.  Depends on how often, and if it's every time you go out, that doesn't work for you.

For those who haven't yet, the trick is the Danforth anchor mount.  Make sure where you want to put it, because the two look alike, but one is for a vertical rail, the other is for the horizontal rail.  If the mount was higher, the shank of the anchor would hang down.

PS - nice job on the projects page, why not just move it over here?

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Susan Ray

Thanks for the reply and picture Stu. I have another Danforth on a bow pulpit hanger attached to chain and rode in the locker so the stern anchor doesn't have to be attached, only need permanent storage for stern rode. It sounds simple but where in the stern locker would you attach a hook? There is nothing but hull in there! I would like to secure the crate on something, away from the hoses, rudder post and autohelm, but what? Any ideas on where to fiberglass in a shelf or board to attach crate? The seas are rarely calm here so it won't say in place without securing. Aloha, Susan
PS.Mahalo for the kudos on my projects, more coming. Allegro just came from CA and is here to stay. Bring yours to Paradise!

Stu Jackson

Susan

Since Allegro is #431, you should have the full aft lazarette as we call it.  The other one's the "port locker."

Inside, I've seen many skippers put wooden plugs or hooks on the sides and back of the plywood box around the rudder post.  We backed off the nuts on the through hull bolts and installed flat washers and looped a long bungee cord around the every other one of the bolts in the inside of the top aft inside part of the transom.  We hook our extra long lines to the section of the bungee in the spaces between the nuts. Then they don't get lost in the bottom of the deep lazarette because they're always hooked onto something that you can reach.  Lots of inventive ideas if you spend an hour or so down inside.  Of course, getting out has always been another matter! :shock:

Also suggest, if you or your PO hasn't done this before, is rig a line to keep your aft lazarette open: bungee cord or line hanging from the inside attached to the pulpit has been discussed on this board earlier.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

john meyer

An idea on the chain storage - I can't remember where, but I read and have tried a great idea - store the extra chain in one of the red, poly fuel containers - you'd be amazed how much chain can be stored in one of those containers and the strong handles make for easy transport.

Susan Ray

Okay...I did  as suggested and spent an hour in the aft lazerette. At 85 degrees with no trade winds I had no problem getting out as I must have sweat off 10#'s. I remembered a u-shaped metal thing aboard, that had no purpose that I could find, so attached it to the starboard side of wood box with one side of the crate over the u and other up against the hull. This holds all chain and rode. The anchor will go on stern pulpit with a carabier or snap hook, for emergency's only. 
Rather than a red fuel container to hold chain (good idea but ugly), I will sew a bag with a grommet in bottom for the bitter end to come out, as it is not attached to anything and will have to be put on the stern cleat before deploying.

While sitting in lazerette, I noticed the nuts were all loose and the bolts bent!! on the hinges above me. So..I am installing stainless pull-apart hinges (West item #2663995) in place of the original pot metal ones, with lock nuts.
Still sitting and looking around...noticed the hose clamps on the exhaust were rusted so will replace those also.
Really get to know your lazerettte after spending time there. Thanks for the idea and all the new projects I found to do. In case you wonder..Yes, I do sail her sometimes, but only inter-island anymore as I must board the cat, she is not a sailor.
Mahalo, Susan

Craig Illman

Not sure you're going to get a lot of sympathy on the heat.  :cry4`

Craig