Autohelm

Previous topic - Next topic

Fulvio

My Autohelm ST 4000 just broke.  The disengage lever won't stay in the "engaged" position anymore.  
That lever has been giving me a little trouble for a while.  Even when disengaged, the wheel would rattle quite often when turned.

I am curious if anyone has had this problem before, and how much it cost to fix.

Fulvio Casali
Seattle WA
Soliton
#929 (1989)

mvazmina

I had a similar problem and was able to have a repairman out to fix it for less than $100. It seems that some of the plastic wears and needs to be replaced.  The hardest thing was to find someone that would work on the unit.

captaingary

Mine broke about a year ago and I ordered a new lever from Raytheon for $35. It is easy to install and works just fine.
Gary Schneider
Windmill #1231
Long Beach  CA

Bill Sedgwick

Min broke about 2 weeks ago. Both of the roll pins connecting the pinch roller to the shaft sheared. I drilled out the pins and replaced them. The most difficult problem was finding 1/8" roll pins. I did not not find a pin long enough for the lever which must be removed to reassemble the roller. When I pressed it out it was also in 2 parts about to fail. Now, it's just a pressed in metal rod fabricated from a stainless nail.
George W (Bill) & Jo Ann Sedgwick
SchatzSea #1031

jentine

The usual problem is the rolled pins in the engagement cam break.  They are available from Raytheon for a few cents each.  The shipping and handling cost much more than the parts.  Whe I replaced mine, I drilled through both parts to make the next repair easier.

pklein

I suggest you talk to the technicians at Raytheon and get an estimate for a Factory rebuild.  I believe it's a few hundred bucks, but considering the fact that nothing lasts forever there are probably other parts that need replacement.  Most important is the peace of mind you will have knowing that the unit is as good as new when you have to rely on it to let you sail the boat through sleet and *#%~!!!.  Unless of course you live in the islands.  I'm on Lake Michigan which is well know for its *#%~!!!.

Phill Klein
Andiamo #977
Montrose Harbor - Chicago