Install a Edson Radar Platform

Previous topic - Next topic

lmiller

I have just ordered a new C 34 and will need to Tabernacle the mast to get out of our harbor. The radar and other electronics can not go on the mast so I need to install a Radar platform at the stern. Has anyone done this on a Mark II and if so what mast did you use and parts ect. and do you have pictures?

john meyer

After much study, I installed the Garhauer unit on my stern.  I upgraded from the recommended 2.5 in. diam. and 8 ft height to a 3 in. diam. and 9 ft. height.  I mounted the pole on the port swim step with two cross supports to the pushpit. It has manual gimbal  adjustment and an additional mounting bracket for GPS, etc.  It looks and works great.  I only have a distant shot of the pole and a closeup of the base.  Hope this helps.

lmiller

John, thanks so much for the pictures and info. That will help. Also, I noticed on your picture that the swim latter hinged on one side to open like a gate. Do they come like that or did you do that? I just ordeed a boat and should know Larry.

john meyer

Larry, the swinging gate/ ladder was a modification I did some years ago - it's worked well.

Stu Jackson

Larry

John's modifications of the swim ladder was a subject of a Mainsheet Tech Notes articles a while ago.  Since you are C34IA member (NEW - welcome, again!!!), you have access to both the magazine and the Tech Notes "Online."  Go to www.c34.org.

Also, for others who may be interested, go to:http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?board=45.0

This link uses two different questions to answer the very same basic concept:

THE "OLD" portion of the C34 WEBSITE STILL EXISTS.

There is an incredible amount of 18 years of information that has been gathered.  The content is a "non-interactive" series of web pages, accessed through the ww.c34.org address.  For ANYONE buying or now owning a "previously owned (PO) C34, especially the older boats that may have now been "through" more than one owner, I strongly urge you to check the material out on that "other portion" of this great website.

www.c34.org

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."