Engine cleaning

Previous topic - Next topic

captaingary

I have a question about cleaning the engine and engine compartment. I would like to do a good cleaning to get all the oil and grime cleaned up. I was thinking of using an automotive spray on cleaner such as "Gunk" and then spray off with water. Has anyone found an easy way to get all the oil and grime cleaned off?
Gary Schneider
Windmill #1231
Long Beach  CA

Gary Wilson

Gary -

When we bought our boat, the engine was covered with oil and grime.  The engine surveyor suggested we line the engine compartment well with newspaper and clean it with solvent and a brush.  I used mineral spirits.  It was kind of a stinky mess, but it worked pretty well.  Keep a fire extinguisher handy.

kenkillian

I have used a Foaming Product by Simple Green on the engine.  It does not "attack" rubber and plastic like Gunk does.  For the compartment, I have used Bilge Cleaner from West Marine.  As you can guess, it is the wash down that gets messy.  However, when planned out, you can use much less water than you might guess, and it is not too bad at all.  I pumped water into a five gallon bucket for disposal and did not use more than about 3 - 4 gallons of water.

jentine

It might be a good idea to put several oil absorbent pads under the engine to soak up the oil and grease deposits that are washed off.  They do not absorb water, only petroleum products.

c34member

My dealer's mechanic told me to squirt the engine every fall with WD-40 when I winterize the boat.  I use the refillable squeeze spray bottle and it works very well.  It's good for the engine, too.  It forms a protective coat when left to dry.  Place newspapers or paper towels under it first and remove them a couple days later.