Winter Cover

Previous topic - Next topic

David Arnold

Another question from a newbee regarding covering the boat for the winter.  I am leaving the boat in the water (Rhode Island) for the winter.  It is in an extremely well protected marina with bubblers all around to keep water moving so I am not concerned about ice build up around the boat.  I am considering a canvas cover from The Canvas Store but would rather not incur the expense if covering the boat is not necessary.  Considering the boat is new (2005 model) I would appreciate feed back on covering???
David
"Prints of Tides"
Naragansett Bay, RI
2005 - #1707

Ron Hill

David : I've written up my covers in the "Projects".  Here's a picture of my covers winter and summer.  Mine are made out of a material called "Oddesy".  It's 1/3 the weight of Sunbrella and has lasted (winter cover) for 14 or 15 winters.  The winter cover is made so I could put it on the boat while it's in the water, if I wanted to. 
The BEST item you can buy for your boat to keep it looking new is a cover!!  You'll never regret the cost.

Opps, the picture file was too big for this message board, you'll have to go to the projects listing to see them!!  :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

Footloose

David

I know that I am a couple of hours north of you but I would agree with Ron that a cover is important to have.  During the winter water and heavy wet snow are the enemy.  Water will find its way into any crack or opening.  If it freezes there, it gets bigger and after a couple of seasons you dry interior is becoming leaky or worse going into your deck undetected.  Covers aren't perfect but they are way better than the elements.  It won't make you boat maintainence free either.  You will still need to rebed hardware.

As for spending money, if you haven't heard yet, B.O.A.T. stands for Break Out Another Thousand. 
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

Jon Schneider

I feel (operative word) just the opposite.  The worst thing for gelcoat is UV, yet we never cover our boats during the summer.  I've never covered my boats, and I've never experienced any expanding cracks from ice.  Anyone with a relatively new boat doesn't even have scuppers to worry about.  Save your money.
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Jeff_McKinney

David,

I prefer to keep mine covered as well. I invested in a boom-tent from Fairclough. It's not cheap, but is really well made, the fit is quite good, and have no gripes other than the time & effort needed to get it on & off. It secures to the lifeline stanchions and the plate on the bow just aft of the forestay. This covers the entire deck and cockpit. Not 100% airtight, but that's a plus when the humidity is up & the cold air rolls in.
Jeff McKinney,  Event Horizon;  Upper Chesapeake Bay

Ron Hill

Jon : This last week I was down at the boat and from the inside, my cover looked like it was covered with a "polk-a-dot" material.  It was full of bird CRAP !! 
The another enemy of gelcoat beside UV & dirt are leaves - they do a real stain job after rain, snow or condensation.  The more you can cover up on your boat, the better it will look over the long haul.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Jon Schneider

Ron- I don't have a problem with either bird droppings or leaves.  I'm lucky regarding the bird droppings; my marina just doesn't attract much avian activity.  Leaves are also not a problem for me, since I haul the boat in December.  The real gain by not covering is the avoidance of cabin mildew and mold, which I consider a much graver threat than anything external which I can protect against with wax or wash off.  I have to admit that all the boat in my marinas yard with Fairclough covers (a renowned local canvas maker in CT) sure do look pretty, but I think I'll put that $5K into a nice new headsail.
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Ron Hill

Jon : Consider yourself lucky not to need a cover.  Most of us C34 owners, have to put up with birds, leaves, and wind (blowing leaves/pine needles/dirt/dust).  Then there's the snow/rain so we get the daily winter freeze/thaw/freeze between day to night which can raise havoc with stanchions and any nut/bolt that goes thru the decking. 
You are indeed fortunate to store in an area that doesn't have these phenomena!

BTW, the receipt that gets you mold/mildew inside a boat during winter is to put an unbreathable covering over the entire boat and make it tight - like shrink wrap without adequate vents. 
The worst thing you can do is to let a heater/light bulb on and plugged in while the boat's unattended.  Just ask one of our C34 members - when he received the call from his marina "Your stored boat had a fire onboard".  That call came a couple of years ago - on Christmas Morning!!  

Ron, Apache #788