Fuel Filter replacemtent

Previous topic - Next topic

David Arnold

I am new to winter lay-up maintenance.  I have done just about everything but the fuel filters and for those I haven't a clue where to start.  I guess there are 2 filters???  A Raycor which I think is a fuel / water separator??? and an in line filter??  Do I have that right or am I already off base?  Any and all suggestions would be most appreciated!  The boat is a 2005 but I imagine the fuel system has not really changed much over the years.
David
"Prints of Tides"
Naragansett Bay, RI
2005 - #1707

Ron Hill

David : I'd recommend that you do NOTHING to the fuel system for the winter.  Just make sure that your fuel tank is 95% full.
Spring is the time to change filters and then do it ONE by ONE.  The worst mistake you could ever make is to change both filters together and not filling up each new filter with fresh fuel.  Change a filter and then run the engine.  After you're satisfied the engine runs OK, then change the other filter.
I'd recommend that over the winter you read (and learn your boat systems) your owners engine manual, your Catalina owners manual, the FAQs/Projects/Mainsheet Tech notes on our extensive C34 web site. 
I'm sure that others will hand carry you thru where your Racor and engine fuel filters are located.  That info is also listed in your engine and C34 owners manuals.  Good info to know if your engine ever quits.    :clap
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

David

Welcome.

Try a search on the word "bleeding."

This MB doesn't permit cutting and pasting of search URLs.

There's lots of reading there for you, right up your alley.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

David Arnold

Thanks Ron and Stu,  I appreciate the advise/feedback and will hold off for the winter, read up and then change the filters one by one in the spring!
David
"Prints of Tides"
Naragansett Bay, RI
2005 - #1707